Thursday, February 28, 2019

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud Review

Source: www.fragrantica.com

Good morning once again! I hope everyone is having a great morning with their favorite caffeinated beverage while reading their favorite blogger's article! Just kidding about the favorite blogger thing. This morning I am going to review Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Oud. This is probably one of the most expensive fragrances I have reviewed to date. I was lucky enough to procure a sample in an order from my man, Mark Mobley. Go check him out at www.myfragrancesamples.com. This is proof that he will hook you up with some high-quality samples. Anyways, let's get onto the review. I only have a decant, so no presentation on this one.


Notes

Saffron, Laotian Oud, Elemi, Patchouli, Cedar


The Scent

Opening


The opening of MFK Oud is quite pungent and bitter. It's pretty offputting at first. It's also quite dark and resinous. The oud is supposedly real oud from Laos, which explains the pungent opening.  After the initial spray, the floral saffron starts to come in with the pine-like elemi and the pungent and bitter oud. The saffron is mostly sweet, but has some leather to it that is accented by the oud.

Dry Down

This fragrance doesn't change much in the total dry down, but it gets more composed. It gets silky smooth with some sweetness. The oud is still pungent, but starts to exude a honey-like sweetness..This is more of a saffron fragrance than an oud one. The oud is a supporting actor here. I don't get much patchouli or cedar from this, but it does have a slightly woody base. It seems to me that MFK was going for a more modern and wearable take on Arabic perfumery in this one.

Performance

MFK Oud projects at an arm's length for around 2 hours, then it settles into a skin scent for the remainder of its 9-hour lifespan. The sillage trail is decent, but nothing amazing. This is not a super loud fragrance. It's an oud fragrance that has manners.


When to Wear it

This fragrance is not overpowering, but I do think it's best for the cooler months. The saffron would not fare very well in the heat and I doubt this fragrance would be as smooth in such conditions. This fragrance has some class to it, so I think it's best if you are at least a little dressed up. It is completely unisex and for ages 30+ to my nose. It has somewhat of a grown-up sophisticated vibe to it. It's a good choice for a date night as well.

Overall Impression

MFK Oud has not totally impressed me. I don't dislike it, but I doubt that I would ever buy a full bottle or even a decant of this. I have many other fragrances that can do what this one does. It's still a nice smooth and wearable saffron/oud and it smells very high quality. It's just not something I see myself itching to get. I would rather get Black Tie Affair from Alexandria and call it a day. No, they do not smell similar, but they can be used for the same situations and I think the Alexandria smells much better. To each their own. Like I said, this is not a bad fragrance by any means. It's just not one that I desire to have in my collection, especially for the price($264 for 70ml on Fragrancex).

Conclusion

I hope you folks enjoyed this one. This is the first MFK fragrance I have tested. It's good, but not great. As always, be sure to hit that blue follow button and sign up to receive email notifications. Have a great day and remember to say something positive to someone today!


Purchase MFK Oud here

Get a decant of MFK Oud here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group
 here!

Follow me on Instagram




No comments:

Post a Comment