Friday, February 15, 2019

FragComm Fridays: Hany Hafez




Hello, everyone! Thanks for joining me for another episode of "FragComm Fridays". Today, I have none other than Hany Hafez, the owner, and operator of Alexandria Fragrances. A house that I am sure you all know, especially if you read my blog. Hany and I had about a 3-hour conversation on Facebook for his interview so there will be a lot more to this one than the previous ones. I hope you enjoy! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! Let's get into it!


The Interview


1. What is your favorite fragrance outside of the Alexandria lineup?

Vintage Dior Fahrenheit or Chanel Platinum Egoiste

2. What inspired you to start up Alexandria fragrances?

My grandfather inspired me. He had 4 shops in Cairo. I used to visit him and help him clean the store and I helped him fill the bottles. Little by little I learned how to blend.

Then I started to sell them at school and to my friends and neighbors. After I finished high school I opened my first small store but it didn’t work out.


I had two fragrance stores in Cairo, but they didn't work out. I failed more than I succeeded. I never gave up on my dream. I sold other brand's fragrances then, but I always wanted to make my own. In 2012, I came to the US. I worked at a gas station, a restaurant, and as a security guard to save money to open my own business. In 2017, I started up Alexandria.

Hany in one of his earlier stores.

3. Your original creation, Hafez 1984, was met with great praise and success. Did you imagine it was going to be such a huge seller when you composed it?

After many people asked for tobacco and vanilla and several other notes, I decided to make it. Also, I figured out that many people are against clone houses, so I decided to start my original and improve myself. I didn't want to be like everyone else in the market. Many of them have inspirations, but none of them have Hafez 1984, Cacao Dreams, or Egyptian King.

Hafez 1984, the fragrance that is named after Hany.

4. How do you draw inspiration for your original creations?

Hafez 1984 is named after me. I would not have named it that if I didn't believe in it.

Well, my consumers have a lot of tastes. For example, some people love oud and other people love floral, fruity, gourmand, or tobacco. So every time I focus on something different to try to suit my consumer's wide variety of tastes. I always check out what people like most and what are the popular notes everyone likes 

5. You have quite a few fans of your fragrances. How does it feel to be a FragComm celebrity?

I feel proud of where I came from and I feel thankful for God and to my parents, friends, and everyone believed in me. I feel more motivated and try to work harder and stay humble. I feel like praying for my grandparents helped me get here.


6. What is your favorite memory of a fragrance?

Dior Fahrenheit. My uncle wore it and he was supporting me all the time. He was the first person believe in me and he loaned me money to start my first store. He passed away and I still remember him when I smell the vintage Fahrenheit. That’s why I made one called 69 Fahrenheit and mentioned that in the description.


69 Fahrenheit, Hany's tribute to his uncle.

7. It seems as though your love of your birth country, Egypt, has carried over into fragrances. A lot of your creations have oud in them, both westernized and eastern types. What is your favorite kind of oud and why?

Indian Sweet Oud and Malaysian Oud. I’m not a big fan of Cambodian oud or any strong oud. That’s why I always use oud as a twist, not the main note. Oud is nice but not everyone likes it.

8. Do you have any new plans for Alexandria that you can tell us about?

I’m working on beard oils, candles, and solid perfumes. Also, I’m changing my bottles to a different style but that might take some time.

I hope to one day to sell my products at Sephora. I am waiting for bigger and better bottles for that. 



9. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be?

Khufu, who built the largest pyramid(The Great Pyramid of Giza). It took 20 years and they cannot figure out how he did it. It's one of the 7 Wonders. It's made out of 2300 blocks and stands 146 meters tall. I can't describe how I feel when I enter it.
Hany near the Great Pyramid of Giza.
10. Who inspires you the most in your life?

Mohamed Salah, the Egyptian Soccer player who went from a zero to a hero. He never gave up on his dream. It's not about his talent. It's about the story behind his success. He came from a very poor family. No one believed in him. He didn't have money for transportation to his training so he would walk 4km to get there to save his family money. Now, he is one of the best soccer players in the world.

12. You are very passionate about your fragrances and back them up 100%. How do you stay so passionate about them?

Every time I see some positive feedback or a review. When I go somewhere and hear "Oh my God, you smell good!", that makes me passionate and pushes me to improve myself and protect my success.



Thank you for joining me once again. I hope you enjoyed the interview. Thank you once again, Hany, for taking the time to do this. Hit that blue follow button to support my work. I hope everyone has a fantastic day and remember to say something positive to someone today!


Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here!

Alexandria Fragrances Website


4 comments:

  1. Was looking forward to reading this review. Like little chapters in someone's world. Hany is such a wonderful guy. You can see his inspirations carry throughout his company. Having the right mindset and fortitude will get you to where you want to be. There will always be trials and tribulation but it takes someone of character and grit to prevail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was certainly a fun interview to do. He took a lot of time and showed me a lot of pictures.

      Delete
  2. Great interview! Looking forward to what Hany & Alexandria brings to us in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...He has a lot of stuff in the works and it's exciting!

      Delete