Monday, January 7, 2019

My 5 Least Favorite Fragrance Notes

The skunk: Super cute, but the scariest animal on earth to a fraghead!
Image source: www.pixabay.com

Hello ladies and Gentleman! Another doubleheader today! I have a lot of content coming out here soon, so I will be posting every day and sometimes twice per day! This one is on my 5 least favorite notes in fragrances. Some of them I dislike any form of them, some I only dislike a certain type. Let's get into it!


Number 5: Castoreum
Image source: www.pixabay.com

Castoreum comes from the castor sacs of a beaver, which is located around the hindquarters of the animal. At least it used to, I think most of it, if not all, is synthetically produced now. It gives out a urine smell to me. While it can be okay mixed with some other notes...it's just not what I seek to smell like. So any fragrance that has this in it as a predominant note is usually not my style.


Number 4: Oakmoss

Image source: www.pixabay.com
Now, I don't dislike oakmoss as a whole, but the super dry mothball smelling oakmoss from the 70-80s smells bad to me. Most of this was banned in perfumery as an allergen, so it's synthetically produced now. I like the dry oakmoss with spice in old-school barbershop fragrances, but some other times it just smells like an old attic. That's not something I wish to embody.


Number 3 Suede

Image source: www.pixabay.com
Suede is the bad side of leather to me. It just smells funky. I don't know how to describe it properly, but I just dislike suede very much. It smells dirty to me. Luckily, not many fragrances have this note in them and they opt for leather instead.



Number 2: Blood Orange


Image source: www.pixabay.com
Orange is one of my favorite fruity notes in fragrances. However, blood orange is not. It just smells like a bad grapefruit to me. It's dark, piercing, and just unpleasing to me. I can handle it in small amounts, but with a fragrance like Perry Ellis Night it's just bad. Even though that fragrance is slowly growing on me...I am still not a huge fan of the note.



Number 1: Licorice

Image source: www.pixabay.com
Anyone who knows me will find this as no surprise. I can handle licorice in the background, but as a major player...I hate it. Anise isn't much better, but they are similar so I decided to only put one on this list. I can't stand licorice candy or smells. I just don't like it. I avoid any fragrance that has these notes as a dominant note. Azzaro Pour Homme has anise and I like that one, but I also have Avon Today which is licorice dominated and I dislike it very much.


I hope everyone enjoyed this one! Be sure to hit that blue follow button to support my work. Comment on which fragrance notes you dislike below! Have a great evening everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Yep! This is pretty much the same for me! I don't like any of these either John! And I love orange also, but not Blood orange. And I also don't like a lot of oakmoss either, which 50% of my frags have oakmoss in the bottom notes. Great list my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand anise, geranium, or coconut those ruin the fragrance if they are too prominent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, I just now noticed your comment. I personally love coconut. Geranium is okay. I hate Anise.

      Delete
  3. Yeah no go for licorice for me as well. It is just gross on all accounts. One note that I can't stand is Clove. It's fine and adds spice to a fragrance in the background but not as a main note. I used to not like iris in the beginning of my fragrance journey. Then as my nose began to mature I started really liking it. Funny how much a nose can change and mature over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I have Penhaligon's LP No 9 which is a clove bomb and I love it. I like iris as well, but I prefer violet more.

      Delete