Thursday, October 3, 2019

Ready to Sail the Seven Seas: Scentual Obsessions Bay Rum Review

www.pixabay.com

Hey folks! I hope everyone is having a fantastic day today. I don't know about you, but I am itching for some fall fragrances, but it's supposed to be 98 degrees here tomorrow. Sigh, oh well. Hopefully, by the end of the month, it will start cooling down.

Today, I am covering a new house, Scentual Obsessions, that I had the pleasure of trying 3 of their fragrances. I was surprised to see they had an actual bay rum fragrance, considering a lot of houses don't. Bay rum was traditionally used by pirates to try to cover up their body odor while they sailed the oceans pillaging for long periods of time. Although rum is in the title, bay rum usually doesn't have rum in them. What pirate would waste a good bottle of rum to cover up their body odor anyways? Sounds pretty silly to me. Bay rum is also used in some barbershops as an aftershave.

I didn't take any pictures of the bottle because they are working on updating the bottle and I was sent a bottle that he had macerating in the back, so it doesn't have the same labels as the others. The juice is what matters anyways!

I want sent this bottle for free to review. It did not impact my thoughts on the fragrance and I was not compensated in any way to review this.

Notes

There aren't any notes on the website, so I will just list what I pick up.

bay leaf, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and orange


The Scent

Opening


Bay rum opens up with a nice spicy blast of dry spices. Clove and bay leaves are the main players in this fragrance. The orange isn't fresh and juicy, it's more of an orange peel accord.  The bay leaf gives it a slightly herbal nuance and adds to the spiciness.

Dry Down
The orange becomes a bit more noticeable once the spices blend together and settle down a bit. The nutmeg and allspice serve as a catalyst to warm this fragrance up. Honestly, this fragrance reminds me of a Christmas spiced orange tea. It's very warm and inviting and has that comforting edge about it.

Performance

This is a strong fragrance. I am getting around 12 hours of performance with around 3 of those projecting up to 6 feet. Another hour of moderate projection before it settles closer to the skin.  Pretty impressive.

When to Wear it
This is a colder weather fragrance and the spiciness resonates very well with images of Christmas and Thanksgiving. I think you could wear this dressed up or casually. It's pretty versatile. It is a clove heavy fragrance, so I would keep it out of the office, especially if people are sensitive to fragrances there. This is certainly a masculine fragrance to me. I couldn't see a woman wearing this one.


Overall Impression

Ido quite enjoy this one, but it's my least favorite of the three I tried. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it's not as enjoyable to me as the other two. If you have never experienced bay rum, then you might want to check this out. Most bay rums are aftershaves that don't last very long, so this is a breath of fresh air in that category. I think I am going to wear this for Thanksgiving this year, since I love a nice warm spicy fragrance during the holidays. The orange note elevates this one above many others in this genre, so it makes it more than just a Spicebomb type fragrance.

Scentual Obsessions does sell samples as well. So, you can give them a try and see what you think. My discussions with the owner have been quite enjoyable. He is quite a friendly guy and is engaging with his customers. So, if you have any questions, feel free to contact customer service and he will be glad to help you out.

I hope everyone enjoyed this one. Feel free to follow me or message me on Facebook or through the contact option. I am always open to trying new fragrances and I love hearing from you folks. Have an amazing day and don't forget to be kind and courteous to everyone!

Scentual Obsessions Website

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment