Thursday, October 24, 2019

6 Tips to Help you Avoid the Hype Beasts

source: www.pixabay.com

Hello, ladies and gentleman. I am back for another article. This one is going to be a bit more negative than my normal posts, but I think some of this stuff needs to be said, especially for people who are new to the FragComm.

Hype is a huge thing in the fragrance world. From advertisements to Youtube reviews and even blogs. Hype influences people in a way that commandeers a normal sense of logic. It impacts your wallet. I am going to give you a few tips on how to avoid falling into the hype and ending up $300 poorer with a fragrance that you hate.

Now, I will preface this buy saying that I don't count several reviewers saying a fragrance is good as hype. however, I do count them as telling you to go buy it as hype.

I will stop blabbering and get into it now. Enjoy!


1. New Releases
New releases are oftentimes the most hyped out of anything. The thrill of a new fragrance with promising-looking notes and stellar Youtube/blog reviews can catch a lot of attention. However, if that fragrance was just released two days prior, then do you think that reviewer had time to actually test that fragrance dutifully and give you a complete breakdown? No, I don't think so.

Now, I am aware that some reviewers do get stuff before it releases, so that is a bit different. This goes for people posting on Facebook as well. People who say they tested it as whatever store they choose and are saying it's the best thing ever. If you just received a fragrance or only tested it once at the mall, then you haven't taken enough time to know about that fragrance to tell people if it's solid or not.


2. Take your Time
I would need about 10 more sets of hands to count the number of times people have bought a hyped fragrance(and sometimes even backup bottles), only to flip them around and sell them the next day. You need to take time and test it. I wear every fragrance I review for at least a week before reviewing it. You don't know if you want to marry a woman/man if you only had one drink with them. They could be hiding secrets. The same goes for fragrances.


3. Compliment Beasts
We have all seen the people in the Facebook groups that say every fragrance they wear gets tons of attention. Now, I get that some guys have it and some guys don't(I probably don't and I am fine with that). A lot of it is in how you present yourselves, but these guys who say every single fragrance they wear garners female attention...They are full of crap.

Don't go out and buy a fragrance expecting it to make all of the ladies want you. Life isn't an Axe commercial, bro. So, if you see some guys saying he had 27 compliments or a woman besides his wife told him she wanted to drop her pants for him then you should regard that as fluff.

Don't fall into the trap of every fragrance being a compliment monster. In fact, don't wear fragrances just to get female attention. Wear them as an extension of your personality and aim to be a good person and treat people with respect. That is the best way to get female attention.


4. Performance
When we post our SOTD in the groups, we oftentimes get those guys saying "what is the longevity and projection?". That is the most annoying thing ever. I get that we all want a fragrance that lasts and we want others to smell it, but when that is the most important thing, then it gets pretty silly. You could smell like a steaming hot pile of feces and you wouldn't care as long as it projected, which it will. I promise you that.

My point here is that people hype fragrances as being "beast mode" or sometimes say the performance is bad. The proper way to test performance is to ask others if they can smell it. Our noses easily go anosmic to ou own smells. The from a sample firstto see how your skin interacts with the fragrance, don't go off someone else's nose. Which brings me to my next point...


5. Always Sample
Any fragrance that is over 30 bucks should be sampled first. Anything less than 30 bucks can be blond bought(according to me) because a decant isn't always a cost-effective choice. I personally don't like the little splash vials and I like my samples to be at least 2ML. That's just me, if the smaller ones work for you, then go for it.

No matter how amazing someone hypes it up to be, always sample. The person hyping it up might not have smelled a bunch of fragrances or they could not be very seasoned in detecting notes, so you could end up with something that smells like fragrances you already have.


6. Flipping isn't Easy

You might say to yourself, "It's a hyped fragrance, so I can just turn around and sell it again if I don't like it". That is true to sme extent, but you are going to lose money in the process. Once you open or spray that fragrance(for ones that do not come in a box) the value greatly depreciates due it now being deemed as "used goods". I have seen several people try to sell something they sprayed a few times for very close to the retail price of a fragrance. It doesn't work like that. Plus, you will always have the people who try to lowball you and get it for less.

Don't buy fragrances to test and expect to get most of your money back after you test it. It's just not a viable way to do it.


Conclusion
Sample, sample, and sample. Don't lose yourself in the massive hype train that runs around the fragrance community. Now, reviewers review stuff to try to give you an idea of what it smells like, but our thoughts on a fragrance should not influence you to go blind buy it. They should only make you want to sample it if it sounds like something you should enjoy. This is an expensive hobby. Only buy full bottles of what you love, not just like.


I hope everyone has a fantastic day today. Keep spreading positive vibes and love everywhere. Feel free to hit the follow button if you like my content. I respond to every comment on my articles as well, but I don't think you get notified when I do, so check back after you comment and I will have most likely responded by then.


Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment