Friday, October 18, 2019

My Impressions on Every Alexandria I Have

Source: www.alexandriafragrances.com


Good morning, everyone! I hope everyone is doing fine in this cool weather that is coming along. I am so pumped for it to cool down. Fall and winter fragrances are my favorites and it's just an amazing time of year for me.

I have a lot of fragrances from Alexandria, more than any other house in my collection. These range from samples to full bottles. I just thought I would give a short description of each as a "master list" for people who might be new to the house or just simply want my impression on a certain one. I haven't fully reviewed all of these yet, but I will get around to them in due time.

This article was thought up by me and has no affiliation with Alexandria Fragrances. Most of these fragrances I did receive for free from Alexandria, but it did not impact my opinion on them. I was also not compensated in any way for my reviews on them.

There won't be any pictures on this one due to the sheer number of fragrances listed here. Also, I didn't alphabetize them, sorry. They are not listed from best to worst. They are just numbered for cleanliness.

I also did a tier rating on each.

S- top-notch offerings from the house
A- fragrances that I thoroughly enjoy and always want in my collection
B- Solid offerings from the house, but not amazing
C- Mediocre offerings
D- Fragrances that just missed the mark for me

Some of the notes listed aren't official ones, but ones that I picked up from the fragrances.

I hope you enjoy it! Let's get into it!


1. Hafez 1984
Main Notes: Cavendish tobacco, saffron, guaiac wood and rum

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Semi-formal to formal

Inspired by: Original creation

Tier: S

Hafez 1984 is what put Alexandria on the map. This beastly tobacco fragrance is masculine to its core and is unapologetic for its personality. This fragrance has a very strong and pungent tobacco note with some classy rum added to it. Hearty and masculine guaiac wood with a slightly sweet and smoky nuance added to leathery saffron with a touch of dark and earthy patchouli. This fragrance is for a serious man who means business. It smells way more expensive than Alexandria's pricing may suggest. If you enjoy Alexandria fragrances and you haven't at least tried this one, then you owe it to yourself to at least try this hallmark fragrance.


2. Hafez Gold
Main Notes: Vanilla, cinnamon, tobacco, and sandalwood

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Date night/casual nighttime outings

Inspired by: Original creation

Tier: A

This fragrance was much sweeter than I anticipated given the overtly masculine vibe of Hafez 1984. It's still quite good though. Creamy vanilla with cherried tobacco is what I get from this one. Tobacco is not listed as a note, but I am sure it's in there. The sandalwood seems like it is a bit smoky, or there is something smoky in there. A pretty good fragrance for dates and nighttime wear. I haven't been able to test it in the cold yet, but I am sure it will be much better during that time due to its sweetness.


3. Highlands

Main Notes: Lavender, cedar, sandalwood, and vetiver

Weather: Any(leans more towards cold weather)

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Creed Bois du Portugal

Tier: S

Highlands was a shocker for me. Not because I didn't know what Creed BdP smelled like, but because of how close it is to it. This is the only Alexandria fragrance that I can say is nearly identical to the fragrance it was inspired by. An amazingly beautiful fougere  withy oriental woody depth. The opening is slightly powdery and you get the citrus zest from the lime, which quickly settles into the background. The cedar is peppery and adds a bit of spicy depth. The sandalwood is smooth and a bit creamy. What you end up getting is an amazing floral fragrance with a bit of spice and woods.

It's along the lines of Azzaro Pour Homme a bit. It doesn't smell that similar, but just to give you an idea. This one is much more rounded and smoother, which allows it to not smell like grandpa's favorite. At 33, I have already worn this fragrance 5 times and I have only had it about two weeks.


4. Glacier

Main Notes: Rice, pear, grapefruit, lemon, and neroli

Weather: Warm to mild

Occasion: Casual to formal

Inspired by: Creed Pure White Cologne

Tier: A

Glacier is inspired by one of my favorite summertime Creed fragrances, Pure White. A fresh and clean unisex fragrance that is reminiscent of a cool and foggy morning in England. Pear is not a note I am too fond of, it normally comes out as too feminine for my tastes, but Creed executed this perfectly. The powdery nuances and nutty aroma of the rice note paired(peared...See what I did there?! Heh) tangy grapefruit and lemon makes this fragrance has a classy and cooling sensation that is perfect for a white button-up shirt.


5. Italian Caramel
Main Notes: Toffee, almond, milk, vanilla, and sandalwood

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Date night/casual

Inspired by: Xerjoff Italica

Tier: A


Italian Caramel is a silky smooth gourmand that entices you. It honestly makes me hungry. I was having trouble identifying the opening, until someone I the Alexandria Facebook group said it smelled like powdered fruit punch Kool-Aid. I revisited it and they were right. That only lasts for about 15-20 seconds though. Then you get the sweet and buttered toffee with milk, creamy vanilla and sandalwood, and nutty almonds(not the bitter type). This fragrance smells exactly like some freshly baked almond cookies. Absolutely gorgeous.


6. Paris Night
Main Notes: Amber, benzoin, and vanilla

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Date night to formal

Inspired by: MFK Grand Soir

Tier: A

Paris Night is a luxurious spiced amber with vanilla and sweet benzoin. You pretty much get an amped-up spiced fragrance with 3 different nuances of vanilla. A very classy date night fragrance. This fragrance smells expensive, which is fitting seeing what it was inspired by.


7. Moonstruck
Main Notes: Vanilla, Peru balsam, cardamom, and cinnamon

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Date night and nighttime wear

Inspired by: Atelier de Ors Lune Feline

Tier: S

I am just going to say it now. This is the best vanilla fragrance I have ever smelled. I haven't smelled the original of this one, but the Alexandria versions fires on all cylinders for me. A warm resinous vanilla paired with sweet balsam, spicy cardamom, and dry cinnamon. Amazing performance on this beautiful fragrance helps elevate it above other vanilla fragrances like Sublime Vanille. If you love vanilla ad spices, then get a sample of this one when you can.


8. Funtastic
Main Notes: Leather, bitter almond, and clary sage

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Tom Ford F'ing Fabulous

Tier: B

Funtastic is such a strange fragrance to me. It's unique for sure. It smells like pungent animalic leather with a dash of herbs and baby powder. It's a good fragrance, even though I rated it as a B.  I just can't figure out if I really like this one or I think it's just okay. Regardless, people seem to love it and it's a best seller for Alexandria. If you are looking for something super unique, you might want to sample this. Be warned though, it's polarizing and not everyone will appreciate this one.


9. 1981X
Main Notes: Honey, tobacco, lavender, vanilla, cinnamon, and tonka

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Xerjoff Naxos

Tier: S


1981X is a very masculine fragrance that is a mass pleasing tobacco and honey fragrance. Decadent honey drizzled on slightly pungent tobacco with some sweet vanilla and dry cinnamon. The tonka is a lightly nutty roasted tonka. I also pick up something that is a bit peppery in this mix, but I am not sure what is giving that nuance to me. Regardless, this is a beautiful fragrance and it's hyped for a reason. It's also quite versatile for a cooler weather fragrance.


10. Alexandria Port
Main Notes: Neroli, lemon, orange blossom, mandarin, and jasmine

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

Tier: A

Alexandria Port is a classicly themed fragrance that is perfect for the summer. This type of DNA has been around for decades and has stood the test of time. This is a unisex fragrance to the core. Light, floral, and citrusy. Like sitting on the Italian coast in a white shirt, Alexandria Port just works.


11. Mr. Sillage
Main Notes: Vanilla, myrrh, and tonka

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Date night/casual

Inspired by: Jo Malone Myrrh and Tonka

Tier: A

Mr. Sillage was aptly named after a reviewer that we lost over a year ago now. This was his favorite fragrance. A very sweet and balsamic paired with some slightly medicinal myrrh that is warm and woody. A very captivating fragrance. A good one for vanilla lovers.


12. The Irish Gentleman
Main notes: Lemon verbena, iris, violet, and green notes

Weather: Mild to hot

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Creed Green Irish Tweed

Tier: S

Green Irish Tweed was my favorite fragrance for a long time. It was dethroned by Guerlain Vetiver, but my love affair with GIT is still there. Aptly called an "upscale Irish Spring". Wrongfully called a clone of Cool Water. They smell very different. Freshly grown lemon verbena in the spring, ozonic violet, and a bit of powdery iris make this a crowd favorite, no matter if it's 1990 or 2019. Some times just get better with time and this is one of them.


13. Interplay Extrait
Main Notes: Bitter Almond, ambergris, and saffron

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Any(works very well for date nights)

Inspired by: MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait

Tier: S

Interplay Extrait is a fragrance that most people say they get different smells from. The ambergris seems to work differently on everyone's skin, which is cool. You can hear everything from it smells like latex, a dentist's office, or something super sweet. I understand why people say that. I think it smells like latex, but has a sweet and captivating vibe to it. It's addicting. Also, stop saying this fragrance only lasts 15 minutes. You go anosmic to it. Others can smell it on you up to 8 hours later, at minimum. I guarantee it.


14. Fructus Virginis
Main Notes: Cherry, griotte syrup, bitter almond, tonka, and vanilla

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Date night/casual

Inspired by: Tom Ford Lost Cherry

Tier: A

Fructus Virginis is a cherry bob with vibes of a boozy amaretto drink. Warm, nutty, and bitter almond with dark cherries, creamy vanilla, sweet maple-like syrup, and creamy sandalwood make this a cherry lover's dream. A very seductive fragrance and one of the best Valentine's Day fragrances you can get your nose on.


15. Royal Equestrian
Main Notes: Apple, vanilla, cinnamon, and cardamom

Weather: Mild to cold

Occasion: Any(except formal)

Inspired by: Parfums de Marly Layton

Tier: S


I was on the fence about this one at first, but the more I wear it, the more I love it. Spiced apples with vanilla. Almost reminiscent of apple pie, but not quite. A more fresh take on it over Oajan. The citruses are in it make it a bit more appropriate in the mild weather. A mass pleasing go-to fragrance when you don't know what to wear in the fall.


16. Tropical Aura
Main Notes: Fruits, musk, and citruses

Weather: Any

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Sospiro Erba Pura

Tier: B

A melange of fruits define Tropical Aura. It smells like that fruity chewing gum. It's not natural smelling, but it does conjure up images of lounging on the coast of Italy besides some groves of fruit trees. People say this is a cold-weather fragrance, but I think it can be worn in any season.


17. Arabian Horse
Main Notes: Tobacco, vanilla, cinnamon, and patchouli

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Parfums de Marly Herod

Tier: A

Slight pungent and slightly sweet tobacco met with warm and spicy vanilla. I actually like this one more than Herod because it's spicier. One of the only clones I can say smells better than the original. This one is a workhorse in the cooler months and people love it.


18. Forbidden Plum
Main Notes: Plum, oud, benzoin, and saffron

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Casual or date night

Inspired by: Tom Ford Plum Japonais

Tier: A


Forbidden Plum is based around the idea of a Japanese plum. It's a bit dark, very sweet, and a tad medicinal. The saffron seems to be more sweet than leathery, but there is s slightly bitter note, which could be a leather nuance from it. It's a crowd-pleaser and a safe date night fragrance for both genders.


19. Black Tie Affair
Main Notes: Ambergris, vanilla, bergamot, rose, and black pepper

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Date night and formal

Inspired by: YSL Tuxedo

Tier: A

Black Tie Affair is a formal leaning fragrance featuring a strong dosage of sweet vanilla accented by ambergris, with clean and fresh rose, and juicy bergamot. The patchouli is very woody and only slightly earthy. I think this is a masculine fragrance. It's a very expensive and classy smelling fragrance that also works for date nights. It has a certain allure and captivating presence about it. Very well-made and very approachable.


20. Damascus Rose
Main Notes: Rose, oud, caraway, and musk

Weather: Cool to cold

Occasion: Semi-formal to formal

Inspired by: Le Labo Rose 33

Tier: B

Damascus Rose is a freshly cut and slightly powdery rose with medicinal oud. A little bit of that sharpness with a dash of spice from Caraway and some clean musk A very regal rose fragrance. It's not my favorite from Alexandria, but I quite enjoy it when I am looking for a good rose fragrance.


21. Egyptian Attitude
Main Notes: Patchouli, coffee, lavender, lemon, and cardamom

Weather: Mild to cold

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Armani Attitude

Tier: C


Egyptian Attitude smells really nice. roasted coffee, zesty lemon, woody patchouli, powdery lavender, and spicy cardamom. However, it is sort of light and the performance isn't there for me. It's a shame because it is quite a nice fragrance.


22. The Best Life
Main Notes: Grapefruit, blackcurrant, fig leaf, green tea, and violet

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Davidoff Good Life

Tier: D

I was excited for this one considering it has fig leaf and tea. The opening smells like bamboo and the dry down gets a bit sweeter with the blackcurrant and fig leaf. It's very green and I love green fragrances, but this one is just boring to me. It's not bad and I can't fault Alexandria for it because I am guessing the original smells around the same.


23. Amai Mizu
Main Notes: Yuzu. vetiver, orange, cedar, and sandalwood

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (vintage)

Tier: D

I was excited for this one because I love yuzu and vetiver, plus orange. Ultimately it smells like flat sprite to me. It's not a bad smell, but not something I would wear. It's just not appealing to me, but I resect Alexandria for coming out with these vintage formulations.


24. White Zest
Main Notes: Lemon, vanilla, bergamot, and sandalwood

Weather: Mild to hot

Occasion: Casual to semi-formal

Inspired by: Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Tier: B

I don't get the whole lemon meringue pie that some people claim they get from this, but this is a nice zesty lemon fragrance with a healthy dosage of airy vanilla and creamy sandalwood with some juicy bergamot. It's a nice dumb each for the warmer months and a lot of people seem to love it.


25. Tropical Nights
Main Notes: Coconut, lime, rum, bergamot, and ginger

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Original creation (inspired loosely on Creed Virgin Island Water)

Tier: S

Tropical Nights is a mix up of Virgin Island Water with more lime and ginger. Considering this is essentially a niche impression and it only costs $33 for 60ml...That's a steal. It is more suited for night time over VIW, but it can certainly be worn in the day time.


26. Stanley Beach
Main Notes: Driftwood, seaweed, lemon, vetiver, lavender and oak

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Tom Ford Costa Azzura

Tier: A

Stanley Beach is a blast of fresh and salty sea air with the smell of a dock nearby. It's very nostalgic of my trips to Myrtle beach in my younger years and that is probably why I rate it so highly. It's a different take on an aquatic and I surely appreciate it for what it is doing.


27. Burj Khalifa
Main Notes: Oud, fig, sandalwood, and ambergris

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Casual to formal

Inspired by: Roja Dove Amber Oud

Tier: A

Burj Khalifa is not for the faint of heart. It's a smoky beast with a bit of sweetness to round it out. It smells expensive. It's a monster in projection and longevity. The oud is front and center. Smoky, woody, and unashamed. The sandalwood is also smoky. The fig is lightly green with a bit of sweet fleshy fruit in there. The ambergris works to balance it out with a slightly sweet and salty nuance.


28. Citron Del Mar
Main Notes: Sea Salt, fruity notes, musk, and bergamot

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Creed Millesime Imperial

Tier: A

A sweet fruity melange with saltwater. Add in a bit of clean musk to it and that is Citron Del Mar. A high-quality summer fragrance that makes you think of a sunny beach. The performance isn't top-notch on this, but the same goes for the original.  So, that's not a big deal to me in my assessment of it.

29. Zion
Main Notes: Grapefruit, lemon, ambergris, bergamot, vetiver, blackcurrant, and cedar

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Casual

Inspired by: Roja Dove Elysium

Tier: B

I know a lot of you will disagree with me on this one only being a B, but for me it is. I do enjoy this fragrance, but it's just not something I reach for often, so I can't see myself putting it any higher. Tangy and fresh grapefruit, juicy blackcurrant, zesty lemon, clean and green vetiver, and sparkling bergamot with a touch of salt from the ambergris make this fragrance a true breath of fresh air in the heat. I just reach for other fragrances before this one.


30. Brasilia
Main Notes: Pineapple, birch, blackcurrant, bergamot, and patchouli

Weather: Mild to hot

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Creed Aventus

Tier: A


As many of you know, I do like Creed AVentus, but I am not crazy about it. The reason why I rated this one higher is because it actually somewhat captures the sparkling and juicy bergamot opening that most other clones miss. I am not sure if this is considered a fruit or smoky batch, but the one I have is certainly more on the fruity side. Freshly cut and somewhat creamy pineapple, slightly smoky birch, sparkling bergamot, and woody patchouli. You folks know Aventus, so I won't go into detail, but this one is about 85% similar to the batch of Aventus I used to have.


31. Agar Intense
Main Notes: Castoreum, oud, juniper, and cypress

Weather: Cold

Occasion: Casual to formal

Inspired by: Tim Ford Oud Wood Intense

Tier: D


I have never smelled Oud Wood Intense, but I am a fan of Oud Wood. I just don't like this one. The castoreum is just way too strong and give the fragrance an overly fecal vibe. The cypress note is fresh and nice, as is the smoky oud, but the castoreum just ruins it for me. Some people love it. You can have it. It's not for me.


32. Serene
Main Notes: Mimosa, patchouli, ylang-ylang, bergamot, and orange

Weather: Any

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Chanel Coco Mademoiselle

Tier: A

Serene is way too floral and feminine for me, but it's an excellent rendition of Coco Mademoiselle for women. So, that is why I rated it highly. I won't wear it, but I would love to smell this on a woman. I am not actually sure what mimosa actually smells like, but I can pick up the sweetness of the ylang-ylang pairing with the juicy orange and bergamot. It's quite a lovely feminine fragrance.


33. Africano
Main Notes: Musk, cyclamen, blackcurrant, and vetiver

Weather: Warm to hot

Occasion: Any

Inspired by: Byredo Bal d'Afrique

Tier: A

Africano is a simple, but unique vibrant vetiver based fragrance with clean musk. juicy blackcurrant, and fresh violet. I am not sure what cyclamen smells like, but it does have an underlying light floral nuance in it. This is a fresh and clean fragrance that is very modern and original. If any country in Africa smells like this, then sign me up for a vacation.


Conclusion
Wow, this took much longer than I thought. I didn't realize I had that many! I hope everyone enjoyed this. Let me know what you think in the comments section.

Feel free to follow my blog if you'd like to support my work. As always, be kind and positive and make the world a better place for people to be in and smell!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram!

11 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed your reflection on these various fragrances from Alexandria Fragrances. My heart did drop when I read your rating for Zion. I would have given it a whopping S if I were reviewing it but this is based on your opinion not mine. I reached for Zion so much that I ran out quicker than I wanted too. It wasn’t love at first sniff but it did grow on me. I am anxious to try a few new ones that were listed in this blog. I also look forward to reading more from you about this house. Great job and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, sadly, I do like Zion, but it's just not one of my favorites. I actually have a sample pack of 7 new fragrances that I forgot I had. So, I will be doing those 7 in the same format later.

      Delete
  2. Very extensive. I am impressed. Keep up the great work 👍 💪. I must get my hands and nose on some of these now 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. John! This is so good! I truly enjoyed everything you wrote about this house, excellent job buddy. And that Italian Caramel sounds addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite good! Everyone loves cookies, right?

      Delete
  4. John! This is so good! I truly enjoyed everything you wrote about this house, excellent job buddy. And that Italian Caramel sounds addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, have you smelled Hawaii Volcano Intense. If so how does it compare with tropical nights...I honestly can't stand HVI because although it smells tropical, it also smells very heavy and cloying for a summer fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Schmidty! Thanks for stopping by! Sorry, I just now saw this comment.

      Tropical Nights is similar to VIW. However, the coconut isn't as fresh and in your face and the rum note is lessened. It has more ginger than VIW as well, to my nose at least. It's still quite tropical in composition, but not as bright as VIW is.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. Sometime if you get ahold of some, would you give your impression of Alexandria Babylon, which was inspired by Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee. Thank you. I am marking you as a favorite, so hopefully I can find my way back here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thanks for the review. Have you tired anything close to Xerjoff Alexandria II? I can`t find anything by the Alexandria Fragrances as a clone.

    ReplyDelete