Wednesday, June 5, 2019

7 Overpriced Fragrances

Source: www.pixabay.com

Hello, everyone! Welcome back! As most of you know, when it comes to fragrances, I am pretty cheap. I don't like to spend a lot on one particular bottle. However, there are some fragrances that I think I think are very overpriced. This post today is going to cover that. This is just my opinion. Some have no issue with spending hundreds of dollars on a fragrance, but I am frugal and do not. So, for you folks who are like me, this list should help you with what not to waste your hard-earned cash on. This list is in no particular order. Let's get into it!


7. Le Labo Santal 33

Source: www.fragrantica.com

Santal 33 was an utter disappointment for me. The overlying pickle vibe it gave me just didn't allow me to enjoy the woodiness of this fragrance. The few whiffs that I did get on the woody notes were great and very natural smelling. A lot of people love this one, but I do not. Especially at $189 bucks for 50ml. No thanks, Le Labo. There are plenty of other great woody fragrances out there that are more affordable and still smell natural.

Santal 33 Review

6. Creed Viking

Source: www.fragrantica.com

I have grown to really like Creed Viking. It really is a nice fragrance, but I still don't think it is worth $355 for 50ml. I have smelled a few impressions of this and Zoha Aroma Oseberg is really close to smelling like Viking. For $41 USD for 50ml...You can't go wrong if you love Viking. Viking is overpriced for what it is. Just do yourself a favor and get an impression of it from Zoha Aroma.

Buy Oseberg here

Viking review

5. Zegna Sicilian Mandarin

Source: www.fragrantica.com

I am not sure what this retails for. On eBay it's going for around $200 for a bottle. Given that this line was discontinued, it is hard to tell if those prices are inflated due to that or if they are still around the retail price. Regardless, that is way too much for this fragrance. It starts off nice with some bright citruses and green notes. Then on the dry down it turns into a bland oakmoss and petitgrain fragrance. The fragrance is called Sicilian Mandarin. Where did the mandarin go? Although it's not bad in the dry down, it is boring. Sorry, Zegna. This one missed the mark.


4. Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua

Source: www.fragrantica.com

What overpriced list is not complete without a Tom Ford fragrance? Yes, I do enjoy some of Tom Ford's fragrances, but I still think they cost way too much. Granted, this is not one of his Private Blends, so it's not quite as expensive. It still runs $125 for 50ml. The fragrance itself smells amazing. Like a freshly sliced orange. It's very realistic and pleasant. However, it only lasts for 3 hours. Most Tom Fords have this problem. It's a shame really. This would be one of my favorite summer fragrances for hot days if I didn't grimace every time I sprayed it due to its price, which you will have to overspray to get a lot out of this one.


3. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud

Source: www.fragrantica.com


Francis Kurkdjian makes some amazing fragrances such as BR540 and Amyris. I haven't tried any of the flankers to this one, but they seem to be talked about more. MFK Oud just lacks depth for me. The depth that I would expect from MFK given his $300 price point for 70ml. It just doesn't do it for me. It is a nice fragrance that I do enjoy. I would just never pay his prices for it.

MFK Oud review


2. By Kilian Black Phantom

Source: www.fragrantica.com

This one is an amazing fragrance that I really do enjoy. It's rich, succulent, and captivating. However, the sticker on this one will run you $295 for 50ml. Genre Parfums makes an impression of this (or conjuration, as Devin calls it) for 25 bucks and it's very good. I can literally get that, plus 11 other fragrances from him for the price of Black Phantom. Sorry, By Kilian, this is a great fragrance, but I have to be realistic here.


1. Memo Irish Leather

Source: www.fragrantica.com

This is another one that I like. This one will set you back $300 for 75ml. It's a nice fragrance that smells natural and it is unique, but there are many clones of it out there that you can get for much less. I detailed this in my recent review of it. Even if there weren't any clones of it, I still don't think it is worth the sticker price.

Irish Leather review

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here!

Follow me on Instagram!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back reviewing again. I know the price point for Creed Viking is pretty steep but if you look on FB Groups and such you can find great deals for it. Its one of my fav Creeds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you can, but I have Zoha Oseberg which I think is pretty darn close. Thanks for stoppng by once again!

      Delete