Thursday, November 7, 2019

Why You Need Variety

Source: www.pixabay.com

Hey, everyone! I sincerely hope everyone is having a great day today. Today, I am bringing you an article on why you need a variety of fragrances in your collection and their uses. I hope you enjoy this one! I have been doing a lot more informational articles lately and people seem to be responding well to them, so I have a few more planned. Now before we get into the article...

As many of you already know, on November 5th we lost Dan "MyMickers" Mish, who was a very well-loved and passionate fraghead. From what I hear, he passed in his sleep due to a respiratory illness. I cannot confirm that is true. It's only what I heard.

I chose not to write a dedication article on him because I didn't know him. I felt like I would be capitalizing on his passing for my own gain. I am not saying other reviewers did this, but if I did it myself then I wouldn't feel right about it.

Regardless, I felt like I needed to mention him and at least bring awareness to anyone that might have missed it. From what I could tell, he was a very cool person who was very passionate and energetic. My prayers and thoughts go out to Dan's family, friends, and fans.

His family put up a GoFundMe for his funeral. Even if you only have a few bucks to spare, then I would encourage you to do so. They are still around $2,400 bucks short of their goal at the time of this article. I didn't donate myself because I cannot afford to, so don't take this as a guilt trip. I am only saying they could use your help if you are able. Here is a link to the page,

Now, let's get into it!


1. Variety Means Options

If you only have one fragrance for any given situation then you are limited to wearing that one fragrance, which isn't always bad, but it's not always ideal. If your one fragrance is La Nuit de l'Homme then you are probably wearing something she has smelled many times before, which again can be good and bad depending on her scent memory of that fragrance. A case can be made for giving her a new scent memory to go along with you with a unique fragrance that she probably doesn't know. Just don't go too unique until you get to know her.

There are many fragrances that call for many situations. Versatile fragrances are nice, but oftentimes they are used by everyday guys. If you want to make an impression with your fragrance, then you need to think outside the box. In order to do that you need options that are tailored to your situation.


2. Beast Mode

Not all fragrances are beast mode. This is done intentionally. Let's take La Nuit de l'Homme. Everyone talks about batches and how potent it used to be. I have smelled a vintage batch of this fragrance and honestly, I like the new for dating purposes better. Having a low projection fragrance benefits you on dates. They get a whiff and it draws them in closer. If your fragrance projections 10 feet then she has no reason to come in closer because she can already smell it. I can get a good 6-8 hours out of it. That is more than good enough for a date.

Another place that you don't want strong fragrances is in the office. Like Ashton said in his review on Office for men, being stuck in a cubicle next to someone with a strong fragrance is a headache. You don't want to be that guy that interrupts other people's work. Sometimes workdays are bad enough and we shouldn't add to that by wearing a strong fragrance.

I totally disagree with Jeremy's assessment that a strong fragrance exudes strength in the office. I think it's the opposite of that and gives off impressions of arrogance and disregard for those around you. Stick to soapy and fresh fragrances that don't have massive projection is you work in close quarters to other people.

Another place you need a calmer fragrance is on a plane. Again, you are in close proximity to other people and you shouldn't try to assault their noses with a scent that might make their flight unpleasant. Stick to office style fragrances here as well.

Finally, one more place to not wear beast mode fragrances if you can help it, a hospital or a nursing home. Yes, some of those places can smell quite bad, but anytime you are around people who might have fragile lungs it's best to wear something very light, or nothing at all. I know, it sucks to do this. However, I think it's in the best interest of everyone involved.


Now, I don't dislike beast mode fragrances. In fact, I love them. They are just not suited for every situation. Places to wear beast mode fragrances include parties, outside events, or any place where people can just step away from you if they don't like the smell or they are allergic.


I am not saying to limit yourself and walk on ice because someone might be allergic, but if someone cannot escape your smell, then wear something a bit lighter. This is why you shouldn't only look fo fragrances that project and last a long time.


3. Time of Day

Some people, myself included, like to wear different fragrances on the same day. For instance, if I have work that morning and have a date that night, then I don't want to wear Office for Men. For the record, I haven't tried that fragrance, but I hear its performance is impressive. If Office for men lasts 12 hours, but I want o put on a nice date night fragrance that evening, then I am stuck with Office until it wears off. Even if you scrub it off, usually it doesn't work and you are just stuck with whatever you were wearing.

So, you need some fragrances in your collection that only last for a workday, so you can change to something more romantic for that date or more masculine to hang out with the boys. I think this idea is overlooked so often and many people don't consider that.

4. The Chameleon Effect

Having variety helps you tailor your fragrance to any situation. Have a holiday party? Happyland Homme for the Holidays or Burberry London. Need a fragrance to wear with a white suit? Creed Silver Mountain Water. Need a fragrance to go golding? Guerlain Vetiver.

I am just saying that if all you have are mass appealing fragrances like Bleu de Chanel, Acqua di Gio, Versace Dylan Blue, and other things of that nature then you don't have fragrances that will be a standout in a certain situation. Sure, they will work for it, but it's the "Jack of all trades, master of none" adage that means it's alright for that situation, but it doesn't excel at any of them. I like mass appealing fragrances too, but they are better as everyday bangers, not for complex situations.


5. Buy What You Love

It's easy to get caught up in the fragrance game. People post massive collections like a trophy for you to drool over. Don't get caught up in that stuff. Sample and only buy what you love. Don't end up with a massive collection of fragrance that smell similar to each other. Then you will just end up having a bunch of fragrance and no variety.

Don't get caught up in what other people say. Any reviewer who tells you to go buy something right now before sampling it doesn't have your best interest at heart. Always sample stuff. It's easy to get wrapped up into buying a bunch of cheapies when you first start collecting and thinking everything smells amazing because it's new, but try to only purchase scents you don't want to live without.

Variety doesn't mean having a ton of fragrances, it means having a few that fit your lifestyle and needs. I have over 250 fragrances and I only regularly wear maybe 60 of them. Yes, my collection looks good, but that stuff is meaningless if you don't have passion about what you do have. Which I am passionate, but only with the ones I love.


Conclusion

Variety helps you be diverse. It helps you stand out. It helps you be what you want to be. I think it's very important to have a variety in all things in life. It helps us adapt and achieve our goals in life.

Now, I will list you some examples of fragrances you can use to make your fragrance wardrobe more colorful. I am not telling you to go buy these, but you might want to check some of them out.


Spring


Casual- Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne

Date- Lacoste Pour Homme

Work- Burberry Touch

Suit- Creed Green Irish Tweed

Party- Bond No 9 The Scent of Peace


Summer

Casual- Genre Parfums RAMC

Date- YSL L'Homme

Work-Thierry Mugler Mugler Cologne

Suit- Creed Silver Mountain Water

Party- Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua


Fall

Casual- Scentstory 24 Gold

Date- Parfums de Marly Oajan

Work- Moschino Uomo?

Suit- Bvlgari Man in Black

Party- Burberry London


Winter

Casual- Versace Oud Noir

Date- Mugler Pure Malt

Work- Prada l'Homme

Suit- Zaharoff Signature

Party- Happyland Homme for the Holidays


These are just rough guesses as to what I think a diverse fragrance wardrobe could be. Of course, there are hundreds of fragrances that could go into any of those slots.

That's all for me. Have a fantastic day and keep saying positive things to people and uplifting them. You never know who you might help. Until next time, keep on musing!

I started up a Facebook page for my blog. It would be awesome if you could go give it a like, review, or rating. Feel free to be honest if you think I can improve! Link

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

4 comments:

  1. Great content today John. Really helpful for us rookies and maybe now our Wives will understand our addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2016 La Nuit de L'homme is to this day my most complimented fragrance. Every single woman that comes within the scent cloud is like OMG what is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a decent fragrance. There is no denying that. I was just illustrating as to why not every fragrance has to be beast mode.

      Delete