Friday, November 1, 2019

Why My Opinion Doesn't Matter


Source: www.pixabay.com


Hey, ladies and gentleman! I hope everyone had a fantastic Halloween! This is a somewhat different post today. It's made to make you think a bit about reviewers. No, I am not going emotional or anything. Just say tunes and you will see what I mean. Let's get into it!


1. I'm Not You

Everyone perceives smells differently. We all know this. It doesn't matter if 9 out of 10 of my top fragrances are also yours. Fragrance reviewers just paint a picture for you. That is why I try my best to describe what facets each note gives and try to describe the feeling I get from them.

You should always sample first. My nose is not yours. Any person of fragrance reviewer who tells you to go out and blind buy a bottle is doing you a disservice and doesn't care at all about the people who watch or read what they put out.

Yes, I will tell you if I like something or I don't like it. I will tell you if I think it's worth sampling if you enjoy certain things. I value your time and money and I have no desire to steer you towards something that you would waste your money on. So, just know that no matter how much I say I like something. Never blind buy. Look at what I said about the notes and see if it's something that you think would resonate with you.


2. Art

I view fragrances as an art, so I am not as inclined to insult someone's work. even if I don't like it. I will tell you if something is not for me or I think it smells cheap or generic. Totally trashing what these companies work hard to put out isn't my thing.

There are very few fragrances that I would say I hate. Most of them lean on the artistic side. Just because I hate something doesn't mean it's trash though. As they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

I am well aware that mass appealing fragrances have their time and place. Even if I think a fragrance is generic, then it still has a place somewhere. Not everyone can wear beast mode and unique fragrances to work because of their chosen career path, such as the medical field.


3. I am Frugal

I don't like to spend loads of cash on fragrances. Some people enjoy the prestige that comes with them. I would be lying if I said that I didn't as well. However, I hardly ever find myself being able to give over a ton of cash for a fragrance when I could possibly find some cheapie gems to share with you all.

So, I will normally say that I think something is overpriced, when it may be fairly priced for the quality. I am just not willing to pay such a price for that fragrance.


4. I am a Rookie

I have only been around the fragrance community for around 2 years now. I still have a lot to learn. I get a lot of things wrong still. I work on getting better and learning more every day. I spend around 5-6 hours per day researching. Sometimes more than that.

I have been wearing fragrances since I was around 12 though. I am 33 now, so that's over 20 years. I have learned a few things, but I am still not very experienced. As I said, I am learning more every day.


5. Finances

As many of you know, I take care of my mother full time, so I don't have an income. Most of what I get is sent to me from people in the fragrance community or companies. Those reviews are always totally honest, but I don't have the money to go out and buy new things to feature on my blog. So, my content is pretty limited to what I can get right now, which I am always thankful for, but it's still not the same stuff other reviewers can feature.

I tell you this because I want you to understand that is why I review a lot of what I do. The fragrance community and their generosity have kept my blog going. So, for that, I am very thankful. When I get back on my feet again I will have a lot of new and refreshing content to provide.

Don't take this as a pity trip. Take it as a testament as to how helpful and generous some people in this community are. I wouldn't be here without many of you supporting me.


Conclusion

This post wasn't about you not listening to me. It was more about who I am as a reviewer and what you will always get from me. I have been offered money to do positive reviews and I turned them down. Even though I could use the money. This blog is about passion and it always will be.

I am not going to feature a fragrance here and say it's good if I don't believe it is. I am terrible at lying anyways. I tried it a few times and I just forgot what I lied about. Even though I am getting older, sometimes I even forget the truth these days!

Watch out for people who tell you to buy stuff with no consideration to who you are. You are more than a view count to me. Every one of my readers who messages me will get a response here or on Facebook. So, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to reach out and ask me. Even if you just want to talk about fragrances, feel free to add me. I will leave my Facebook down below.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but I stopped talking about following my page. If you'd like to support me then, by all means, do so. If not, that is okay. This blog isn't about view counts and follower counts. It's about my opinion and trying to help people out. I am not trying to get rich off of blogging.

I hope everyone has a blessed day. Stay safe, say positive things, and make the world smell better and be better.


My Facebook

I started up a Facebook page for my blog. It would be awesome if you could go give it a like, review, or rating. Feel free to be honest if you think I can improve! Link

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment