Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Under the Seven Seas: Zoologist Squid Review

Source

Hey, folks! I hope everyone is doing wonderful today! Welcome back. I appreciate all of you taking the time to read another article. Your support keeps me going.

Today, I have the pleasure of bringing to you Zoologist's newest release, Squid. I know Zoologist has been sending out samples of Bee, but it hasn't officially released yet. I did not get my sample from Zoologist. My friend, Mattie Fuller, sent me a sample of it to check out.

What is Zoologist? They are a company that makes fragrances that reimagine the biomes of certain animals. Some examples are: Tyrannosaurus Rex smelling like a place with ashen volcanoes, Panda smelling like a bamboo forest, or Bat smelling like a cave in which fruit bats store their fruit. I have not personally smelled any of those, but that is what I have heard about them. So, Zoologist is quite unique in its approach to fragrances.

Squid is the first aquatic-themed fragrance from them. These enormous sea creatures scour the deep depths of the ocean with their threatening tentacles and the ability to blind predators with their ink glands. It's quite an interesting creature to name a fragrance after. I have no idea what a squid biome would smell like, but I guess part of Zoologist's objective is to include some sort of fantastical ideas to imagine the places that they mimic. Which is a good thing, taking us to places we have never imagined is pretty neat.

I will stop running my mouth now. Let's get into it!

This is only a sample, so I will not cover the presentation here.


Notes

Sea Salt, Incense, Solar Salicylates(Yeah, I had to Google what that was as well), Benzoin, Ink Accord, Pink Pepper, Musk, Opopanax, and Ambergris


The Scent


Opening


I watched a lot of reviews on this fragrance before Mattie sent me a sample. Many of them acted like this was a general beachy aquatic. That may be what they are perceiving from it, but I disagree. If you are expecting a mass pleasing opening like Invictus, then you will be let down.

The opening is a bit harsh and offensive to me. I get mostly salty ink and incense. There is a tad bit of underlying sweetness, which is probably the benzoin and opoponax. Perhaps it is the salicylate note as well, since it's supposedly green and floral, so I could see a bit of sweetness coming from that as well.

Overall, the opening is not pleasant to my nose. However, instead of scrubbing it, I decided to wait it out. It's my job to give you a full picture.


Dry Down

Squid becomes much more pleasant in the dry down. It remains salty, but the ink accord now dances in harmony with a bit of smoky incense, sweet benzoin, and slightly honeyed opoponax. It really comes together to meld beautifully with each note being blended very masterfully into this composition. It does retain a floral aspect from the pink pepper with a dash of green notes from the salicylates. I think that is what I am getting from what I read about them.


Performance

Zoologist perfumes are highly concentrated and are never lacking performance. Even though this is an aquatic fragrance, I still get around 10 hours on skin, with around 2 1/2 hours of arm's length projection. This fragrance still projects a good bit for most of its life. Around the last 2-3 hours, it finally becomes a skin scent.


When to Wear it

I agree with other reviewers who have stated this is very wearable, at least when you get past the opening. The dry down is very beautiful.

This is a casual fragrance. I wouldn't wear this with a suit or for a date night. It's more of a carefree fragrance, even with the bit of darkness the inky accord provides.

This fragrance is unilaterally unisex and can comfortably lean either way.


Overall Impression

I was not a fan of the opening, but the dry down is magical and I like it a lot. It smells like the deep depth of the sea with an inky accord. I think the sweetness is an interpretation that squids are large creatures, but they are not inherently aggressive and are often misunderstood. The sweetness represents that they just want to survive like any other creature and that they don't wish to harm you. It also has a warmness about it that reiterates this focal point to me in this perfume.

Most indie houses wish to tell a story with their offerings and Squid is does not break that mold. I think anyone who calls this a general aquatic is criminally underrating the beauty of the tale that this fragrance wishes to tell you.

So, my overall impression is this is a very deep fragrance that you have to spend time with so that you can understand it.  When you do seek to comprehend it, then you get the image that the perfumer was trying to tell. At least that is my take on it. I am sure there are many ideas about this one and none of them are incorrect. I do quite enjoy my version and I think it's very sympathetic and impactful. This is a wonderful fragrance.


Conclusion

Thank you for all of the support! Your comments and messages keep me wanting to write every day! I sincerely appreciate all of you. Below I will link Mattie's channel and Facebook group if you'd like to support him. He's a pretty great guy.

Remember, always seek to find beauty in the unknown. You never know what you can learn by stepping out of your comfort zone. As always, keep smelling amazing and keep making the world amazing with positive and uplifting comments! You never know how much you could help someone!


Mattie's Youtube

Mattie's Facebook Group


I started up a Facebook page for my blog. It would be awesome if you could go give it a like, review, or rating. Feel free to be honest if you think I can improve! Link

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment