Friday, November 8, 2019

Hyped Fragrances: Fragrances That Don't Deserve To Be Forgotten

Source: www.pixabay.com

Good morning! I hope everyone is doing fine for this cool and crisp start to the day over here in SC. Today I have an article about hyped fragrances that were forgotten, but I still think they are worth purchasing. Given you have sampled them and the descriptions resonate with you.

Hype can be a fickle thing at times, dancing around from "THE BEST THING EVER" to "Complete trash" as some reviewers would coin it. Hype can be people talking about a fragrance being good or bad. Then all of a sudden people move on to the next big thing that is hyped and forget all about the last thing. It really can be entertaining to watch this cycle in action.

However, I am not here to speak on the bad ones. I am here to tell you the ones that I think are still worth considering even though no one speaks about them. The first number on the performance rating it how many total hours it lasts. The second number is how long it projects. Let's get into it!


Bvlgari Aqva Amara


Main Notes: Orange, aquatic notes, sea salt, incense, and neroli

Seasons: Spring, summer, and fall

Performance: 10/3.5

Occasions: Any


Aqva Amara is a love it or hate it fragrance. Some people say it smells like eggs. I don't get that. To me, it smells like a classy orange fragrance with salt and incense. I did buy this one off the hype from Jeremy and I am glad I did because I quite like this one and the performance is quite good for an orange-based fragrance.


Mugler Pure Malt


Main Notes: Whiskey, malt, peat, patchouli, coffee and fruity notes

Seasons: Fall and winter

Performance:10/3

Occasions: Anything except work


Mugler Pure Malt is still one of my favorite designers. It gets a little more love than the others on this list, but I haven't seen many reviewers put this on their top 10 lists this year. You basically get whiskey, chocolate, some sweet fruits, coffee, and something a bit earthy with this one. It's very masculine and borderline gourmand. One of the most creative fragrances on the designer side that is still mass appealing. I will always have this one in my collection.


Mont Blanc Individuel


Main Notes: Cinnamon, raspberry, chocolate, lavender, and sandalwood

Seasons: Any(go light in the summer)


Performance: 11/3

Occasions: Any


Individuel is a clean cooler weather fragrance that can also be lightly worn in the warmer months. It smells like a dryer sheet to me. Smelling clean never goes out of style, so I don't see why this one fell out of favor besides the fact That Jeremy stopped hyping it. Who knows? It's not my favorite fragrance, but I still think it's worth my money.


Moschino Uomo?


Main Notes: Kumquat, musk, cyclamen, and aldehydes

Seasons: Any

Performance: 7/2

Occasion: Any


Moschino Uomo is a more classical fragrance. Jeremy did hype this one as well. It smells like a bar of luxury Italian soap to me. It's gentlemanly, kind, and won't offend anyone. One of my dumb reaches for a clean and fresh fragrance when I don't feel like wearing something special. Also, getting 120ml for $23 is a pretty sweet deal.


CK One Shock


Main Notes: Tobacco, amber, patchouli, and cardamom


Seasons: Spring, fall, and winter

Performance: 8/3

Occasion: Casual and nighttime


CK One Shock is quite a youthful fragrance for my tastes. I like what I like though. It gives off a sweet cola vibe with some warm and smooth amber underneath it. The performance isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still a good pickup for the price and one of CK's better offerings as of late.


Bentley for Men Intense


Main Notes: Rum, leather, incense, woody notes, and cinnamon

Seasons: Fall and winter


Performance: 12/4

Occasions: Semi-formal to formal


Bentley for Men intense if a powerhouse and attention-grabbing fragrance. It's masculine to its core and it's afraid to tell you so. Spiced rum with leather, woods, smoky incense, and leather make this fragrance one that will be too much to handle for anyone under 25. This is a luxurious suit fragrance that commands respect.


Parfums de Marly Carlisle

Source: www.fragrantica.com

Main Notes: Guaiac wood, cardamom, and patchouli

Seasons: Fall and winter

Performance: 12/4

Occasions: Any


Carlisle seems to have vanished from existence from any of the reviewer's lists who hyped it last year. They seem to be in favor of PdM's newest release, Kalan, and not this one. I don't fall into that category. I still think this is PdM's best release and I still want a bottle, but it's quite expensive. Maybe one day. This fragrance is woody with a bit of fruit to add some sweetness with a sweet and spicy touch from cardamom.  Perhaps this fragrance's disappearance from any fall lists this year, along with Kala's emergence, is indicative of motives and not because the fragrance is good or bad.



Not Worth It

I wanted to add a few fragrances that were hyped and somewhat forgotten and not worth it to me. I will include a little explanation as to why for each one. This is my opinion, so if your favorite fragrance is on here, rock it. I just won't be.


Parfums de Marly Herod- This one isn't really forgotten, but it's not my thing. I get some sort of weird tart note that almost comes off as metallic an unlit cigarette to me. I think it's the osmanthus. Oh well, others still love it. I don't.

Perry Ellis 360 Red- An overly synthetic Acqua Di Gio. Sure, it works, but ADG Profumo is a much better buy, even at its prices.

Dior Homme(or its flankers)- The lipsticky iris is too much for me. It's too dry and powdery. I don't like this one and I don't view it as masculine. To each their own. I know many who love this line. I prefer Givenchy Gentleman EDP because the iris note is much more friendly to my nose.

Sauvage- I own Sauvage and wear it sometimes, but in my opinion, ditch the shower gel vibe and pick up ADG Profumo if you want a mass appealing fragrance with a bit of class.

Any Armaf- Every Armaf I have tried is just a loudly screeching and overly synthetic version of its inspiration. Synthetic isn't always bad, but these give me headaches. I know many people love CDNIM and Tres Nuit, along with other Armafs, but I don't. You folks can have them and enjoy them.

John Varvatos Artisan Pure- It's not a bad fragrance by any means. It works very well as a mass pleasing freshie that is clean. It's just not anything special. It was touted as special and unique, but it dries down to a generic herbal and musk scent with a slight hint of citrus. It's good if you can find it for 20 bucks. If not, then I will pass.


Conclusion


I hope you enjoyed this one! Hype can be such a washy thing. Sometimes it feels like people move on to the next big thing so easily and we forget that we still have good stuff around. I guess it's the "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality that makes people want to get noticed for the next big thing. Slow down and enjoy what we have. Life is too short to always be chasing something that will never satisfy you.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day. Keep saying positive things and being kind to people. Until next time, stay classy.


I started up a Facebook page for my blog. It would be awesome if you could go give it a like, review, or rating. Feel free to be honest if you think I can improve! Link

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

8 comments:

  1. Nice article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much enjoy your work. Appreciate the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Dior Homme as an accident and based on what you look like determines if you can pull it off. I don't care about compliments but this one got me a compliment Everytime I wore it. It just felt as it was an extension of who I was. I wouldn't wear it if I was a lumberjack or a biker. It didn't get as much hype as it was one of the fragrances with feminine notes made for a man brewing the gender preference. Good or bad I liked when Dior took chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate Dior Homme. I just think VUI and Gentleman EDP is better. I agree they took a chance and many people love the line. Sadly, I am not one of those people.

      Delete