Wednesday, November 27, 2019

10 Boring Fragrances

Source

Hey, folks! I am happy to see all of you once again. I hope everyone is having a lovely day today. Remember to drive safely during this busy travel week. I hope everyone has a fantastic Thanksgiving with their loved ones as well. I won't be doing much, besides having dinner with my mom. So, if you need someone to talk to then I will be around.

Today, I am listing 10 fragrances that are boring, played-out, and overhyped. Keep in mind that this is solely my opinion. Please don't get your feelings hurt if I list one of your favorites because most likely I will. I just think these are talked about way too much. I understand that many fragheads start out with these fragrances.

Keep in mind that I am not saying these fragrances are terrible, only that they are boring at this point in my fragrance journey. I have smelled close to 1,000 fragrances probably, so these ones just don't excite me as much as when I started.

This list is not in any order. This is not a top 10 list. It's simply 10 fragrances that no longer excite me. Yes, I do own most of these.

Remember to not take any offense to my opinion. My opinion does not dictate what you love. Let's get into it!


10. Dior Sauvage



Sauvage is a headache-inducing ambroxan bomb with a zesty synthetic bergamot note and a good dosage of pepper. Every style Youtuber puts this on their list, which pretty much delegates it into boring territory on its own.

People overspray this one way too much. It's very strong and aggressive. The scent DNA just isn't exciting. It's not a terrible fragrance, but its own success has been its downfall. It's also overly synthetic and I smell it everywhere, even in a small country town of 30,000 people.


9. Paco Rabanne 1 Million


Source

1 Million is like Sauvage, in the sense that its own popularity has been its downfall. The bubblegum sweet DNA that Paco Rabanne created here has been copied and mimicked across all of fragrancedom. This is a fragrance that is mainly used by people who go to clubs now. It's loud, synthetic, and way too sweet.

I do enjoy Prive, which is a flanker of this one, but the OG is just played out and boring at this point. There are so many other sweet and spicy fragrances that have depth on the market now. There is literally no reason to purchase this fragrance.


8. Versace Eros

Source

Eros is well known as a clubbing fragrance. I own this one and I do wear it every once in awhile, even though I don't go clubbing. I do like the mint note in it, but the vanilla and potency of this fragrance are too much for me most of the time. Overall, it's pretty mundane outside of the mint note. It comes off as feminine to my nose, even though most of you know I wear Guerlain Shalimar EDP and Mitsouko. This one is just too much and it's just pretty uninspired to me.


7. Jean-Paul Gaultier Ultra Male

Source

Do you want to smell like a teenage girl? Well, Ultra Male is for you. This candy-sweet concoction smells like it would be released by Britney Spears and marketed towards teenage females. Sorry, guys. I just think this one is very feminine. I only see this working for teenagers or college kids who have raging hormones and want to get compliments. I will admit that it does work for that.

The reason it's boring is that it smells like a Britney Spears perfume to me. There are dozens of those candy-like teenager fragrances around and this one is no different to my nose. If you are over 25, then you have no business wearing this.

As always, wear what you love. This is just my opinion.


6. Bleu de Chanel


Source

Bleu de Chanel is probably my favorite from this list, which isn't say too much. It's super versatile. That includes all 3 versions of it. Being so versatile means it doesn't excel in any category, but it is okay for most of them. That means it pretty generic. Even though this fragrance started the "blue" fragrance trend, it's still played-out at this point and there are more unique options out there that are versatile.


5. Dior Homme



Dior Homme started a trend with lipsticky iris in men's fragrances. I respect that, even if it's not for me. There are many interesting options that are similar to this one, such as Givenchy Gentleman EDP. Dior Homme is just sort of plain when compared to its flankers and other fragrances in this genre. As I said, I do respect it starting the trend, but it's a boring fragrance now.


4. Dolce & Gabbana The One


It almost pains me to put this one on this list. As you can see from the juice level in the picture, I do wear this one. I do enjoy this one, but at this point, there are so many other tobacco fragrances that have a lot more going for them. There are also tons of more unique options for a date night that won't make you smell like the 40 other men who have worn La Nuit de l'Homme or The One on a date with her. 


3. Boss Bottled


Source

Another fragrance that I actually like. Boss Bottled has been around for a while and gracing men with its apple pie type aura. It's a good fragrance, but there are better apple pie type fragrances with more unique notes in them, such as Gallagher Rose All Dae and Parfums de Marly Oajan. This is another one that its popularity brought about its own spiral into mediocrity. It's still totally wearable and you will get compliments, but no one is going to tell you that you smell different.


2. John Varvatos Artisan Pure

Source

Artisan Pure was hyped up as a unique fragrance. I disagree. The opening is very nice, but it dries down to a musky and herbal fragrance that isn't anything special. It's worth the 20 bucks you can find it for at discounters, but this is far from unique. I do think it's a decent fragrance, but I guess the hype of everyone saying how unique it is let me down. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to find this one unless I happened to find it at TJ Maxx on clearance.


1. Aventus/Club de Nuit Intense Man(CDNIM)

Source

Aventus and CDNIM are two of the hottest topics in the fragrance community. Every day someone posts something about the compliment factor of CDNIM or how Aventus it the "king". When a fragrance is dubbed in such an authoritative fashion, then it's bound to be mundane. The DNA is getting quite played out. Is Aventus a decent fragrance? Yes, it is. However, its massive popularity has made it pretty bland and unoriginal at this point.

The same goes for CDNIM. Its massive popularity and dry down have made it just as boring as Aventus, even though it is an inferior fragrance compared to Aventus. Don't try to change my mind on that because you won't. At least Aventus smells good.

I know this one might make some people angry, but after all, it's my opinion. These fragrances have been bled dry from constant memes, SOTDs, and arguments. The fruity pineapple, with an apple and zesty bergamot opening with a smoky pineapple dry down is nothing new at this point and that is why it made this list.


Conclusion

This list contains many fragrances that people start with. They spend hundreds of dollars on these fragrances because of the hype. I am here to tell you that there are better options to spend your hard-earned cash on and not to waste it on fragrances that you could grow out of in a year. I know this because when I started, I had a bunch of these fragrances and I quickly became bored with them when I explored more fragrances.

Some people are content with just having these fragrances. That is fine. If you don't want to explore more unique stuff or you are just a guy who wants to smell good, then these fragrances are fine choices. However, as a fragrance collector, I think there are much better fragrances that have passionate perfumers behind them that aren't aiming at making a quick buck.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this article, even if I did trash your favorite fragrances. Our sense of smell is subjective. Love what you love.

Be kind and respectful. Spread love and passion. Say kind words to people. You never know who you could help.


I started up a Facebook page for my blog. It would be awesome if you could go give it a like, review, or rating. Feel free to be honest if you think I can improve! Link

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

11 comments:

  1. Haha, it works, but it doesn't excite me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep the original Dior Homme because it was my signature scent for years along with DHI. All designers seem boring unless they are exclusives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still prefer Givenchy Gentleman EDP, but I do have several nostalgic fragrances that I don't wear

      Delete
  3. I got a 10ml decant of Sauvage and, to me, it smells like soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it smells like a shower gel. A glorified Axe smell

      Delete
  4. I agree with almost everyone of those. There is one I would change but it's your list so I will just say great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can feel free to disagree. It won't hurt my feelings lol

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete