Wednesday, March 6, 2019

A Trip to Amalfi: 10 Mediterranean Fragrances

Amalfi Coast, Italy. Source: www.pixabay.com

Hello, everyone! Welcome back! I am happy to see all of you here once again. As many of you know, I am a big fan of Mediterranean style fragrances. Abundant citrus trees which fragrance the landscape with captivating freshness, savory herbs that are used in cooking, and the smell of a fresh salty ocean. As some of you may or may not know, I also follow a Mediterranean diet, so I think this style of fragrances allows me to stay on track with that as well. But enough about that, let's look into the fragrances that make me think of the Mediterranean. I have never been there, so keep that in mind. These are just fragrances that I imagine it smelling like. These are in no particular order, they are just numbered for the cleanliness of the list.


1. Maison Margiela Under the Lemon Trees

Source: www.fragrantica.com

Fresh zesty lime...Wait, lime? It's called "Under the Lemon Trees", but yes, it is a lime accord/ It does come off as a tart lemon at times, but it's still lime. It's mixed with green tea, mate, and other green notes. It is supposed to give off the vibe of sitting under the cool shade of the citrus trees in Italy with a cool breeze blowing. I must say, it captures it perfectly. This is surprisingly long lasting for a citrus fragrance as well. In my eyes, this is the best release of 2018. No clickbait included.


2. Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi



Source: www.fragrantica.com

What is a list of the Mediterranean without Acqua di Parma? Spoiler alert: There is another AdP on this list as well. They are a quintessential Mediterranean style house. They do some of the best citrus bases fragrances you can find. In this fragrance, you will get ripe figs, green fig tree, and a melange of fresh and juicy citruses. This is one of the best smelling fragrances on the market to my nose. The only downside is it doesn't last very long. I don't care though, it's absolutely breathtaking.


3. Alexandria Fragrances Tropical Aura


Source: www.alexandriafragrances.com

This one is a fruity bomb! An inspiration of Sospiro's Erba Pura that fires off on all fruity cylinders. People in the Mediterranean consume high amounts of fruit daily, so this one makes me think of that. It comes off like a piece of fruity chewing gum like Bubble Yum or Juicy Fruit, so yes, it is a bit synthetic. It is beautiful though. I love fruity fragrances and this one always cures that itch.


4. Alexandria Fragrances Alexandria Port

Source: www.alexandriafragrances.com

I always loved Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino, but its performance left me wanting. As you folks know, I am not huge on performance, but that one is seriously lacking in that department. So, I am glad Alexandria came out with this. It's neroli and citruses with orange blossom. It's fresh, clean, and versatile. This one will be a go-to for more dressed up summer events, along with the next one I mention. It's can certainly be worn casually as well.


5. Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza

Source: www.fragrantica.com

A modernized version of the classic Colonia. It's similar to Neroli Portofino/Alexandria Port, but instead of lemon, it has more tart and tangy grapefruit. The neroli does give a soapy clean with fresh citruses.  vibe. This is a white linen shirt fragrance to me, but it could be worn with anything, Classicly Italian and classicly Mediterranean, but with a wearable modern edge.


6. Ferrari Noble Fig

Source: www.fragrantica.com

Figs are native to the Mediterranean, so it's only fair that a few fig fragrances appear on this list. This one is most of a fig leaf fragrance over a ripe fig. the fig leaf gives off a coconut type vibe. It's very light and safe for office wear. This is one that is not going to offend anyone, but it's very subtle, so you might not get compliments with this one.


7. Ferrari Radiant Bergamot


Source: www.fragrantica.com

I just picked up a small decant of this one, but at first sniff, this said "Italian" to me. Of course, Ferrari is Italian as well. It's a bright and fizzy bergamot accented by warm spices of ginger and nutmeg which give it that fizzy vibe. The melon is also a major player in here. I haven't been able to properly gauge the performance, but I do know this one smells very good and it's quality of smell far surpasses its price point. Same as Noble Fig.


8. Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense

Source: www.fragrantica.com

This one is more of an aquatic take than the others. It has the feeling of standing by the Amalfi coast with grapefruit trees nearby. The sour tartness of the grapefruit mingling with the salty ocean air. It's beautiful to me. It's nothing super special, but it is pleasant and it does bring images af the Italian coast to my mind.


9. Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua

Source: www.fragrantica.com

This one has a huge note breakdown, but all I get is orange peels. I have tested it for 2 days straight, so it hasn't been tested thoroughly enough. I do like it though. It's a fresh and natural orange peel smell. Performance isn't great, like most of this line in general, but I do like it and it does make me think of the Mediterranean coast and their love of oranges.


10. Mancera Aoud Blue Notes

Source: www.fragrantica.com

This one is a bit synthetic, like most Manceras are. That doesn't make it bad though. This one has an interesting leather note in it. It makes me think of driving a convertible Italian car with expensive leather seats down the coast with the smell of the woody fruit trees blowing in your face. It's a very pleasant fragrance, but it is quite loud and forthcoming. It's a powerhouse in longevity as well, for a fresh type fragrance at least.


Conclusion


Mediterranean fragrances are some of my favorites. I simply love bright citruses and fruity fragrances. I know there are others I did not cover such as Creed Jardin d'Amalfi, Jo Malone Lime, Basil, and Mandarin, Creed Erolfa, and some others that I am testing. I do have some Oil Perfumery impressions of these, but I haven't reviewed them. I will soon though. I do wantto try many more fragrances in this style. If you have any you would add to the list, then let me know in the comments.

Feel free to hit that blue follow button and sign up for email notifications for when I post. Thanks for the support everyone! My blog hit 10k views yesterday, which might not seem like much, but I am very happy about that. Also, this will be my 97th post. So my hundredth is coming up very soon. I want to do something special for it, but I am not sure what. If you have any ideas feel free to message me through the contact form or on Facebook . So, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Have an amazing day and remember to say something positive to someone today!


Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here!

Follow me on Instagram!





3 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog and good information keep me updated with such amazing blog's.

    Buy Perfumes Online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tropical Aura you nailed that one. that is one fruity bomb! I have been interested in checking out Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza for a while. i have neglected to try anything from that house as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AdP is my favorite house, followed by Guerlain and Creed. I love the fresh citruses lol

      Delete