Monday, March 4, 2019

5 Things that the FragComm Should Stop Doing

Source: www.pixabay.com

Hello, folks. I hope today is finding you well. As I sit here tonight, I am thinking about some things. These things are recurring in the fragrance community. Now, I do not make this post to sound condescending. I simply want to make us all better. Some of these things are purely my opinion and can be cast off as such. Some of these things are legitimate problems within the ranks. This post probably will not get looked at favorably due to my number 1 reason, however, I still feel like this needs to be said. So, I am sorry for all of you who come here for positive posts. 98% of my articles are like that. However, this one is not. Let's get into it, 5 things that we all need to stop doing. Number 1 is negotiable and only my opinion. I think the rest are true for all of us.

1. The Hype Train

Hype is a major thing in the fragrance community. I totally understand that. When you find a new and amazing fragrance then you want to share it with everyone. A lot of the hype is justified, for most anyways. However, I see some people who hype everything they get their nose on. Which isn't a horrible thing. However, they have a constantly rotating top 10 list and every new fragrance breaks into that list. It just makes people take your opinions less seriously. I am not saying hype is bad. Feel free to share that amazing fragrance you found. I am just saying when every fragrance that you try breaks into your top 10, then you might not be taken as seriously. Just something to think about. To each their own, this is just my opinion. Don't roast me for it.

2. Calling Out Scammers

I get it. Scammers are dirtbags and should be called out. However, it's the means as to how people go about doing it that bothers me. I think we should settle this with group admins and make sure there are no misunderstandings. I have seen many innocent people get called out for no reason at all. Sometimes mistakes happen. Just because you didn't get an answer in 15 minutes doesn't mean that person is trying to scam you. Some of these guys have families, jobs, and busy lives in general. They don't always have time to respond right away.

If we all contacted admins in these occurrences it would help for two reasons. One, you would say innocent people from losing respect. You can hurt an honest person's reputation by being too hasty on this. As I said, mistakes happen. Two, the admins could keep a list f people who have been suspected of doing this or doing shady business. This would keep it private if you don't want to call them out in public and it would help admins track potential problems before they blow up and that person has scammed a lot of people, if they are indeed a scammer.

3. Snobbery

Everyone has what they like. There is no need to mock people for loving cheap fragrances or clones. Also, there is no reason to call someone a snob because they prefer high-end niche. We are all on this journey together and we should encourage one another to explore what they love. Your nose is not more developed because you love niche. Your $20 clone might smell amazing, but it is not 99% identical to the original. Clones are great, I love them. However, I have yet to find one that is exactly identical, so I don't think we should judge each other on the price of a fragrance. We are in this together to share our emotions about fragrance and help others explore new ones. So, let's stop all of the petty talks about niche versus designer. We are all better than this.

4. Compliments

Compliments are great, they really are. It makes you feel good when someone thinks you smell amazing. It's a euphoric feeling. However, some people overexaggerate this greatly. I saw one person post that he received 16 compliments in one day. Come on, man. Unless you were at a family gathering, then that is highly unlikely. I mean, I am aware that I am not the most attractive guy, but I never get compliments of that magnitude. The most I have received in one day is 3. One of those was from a friend too, so only 2 unsolicited ones. I think part of this goes back to Jeremy Fragrance and his obsession with compliments from the ladies. What people don't realize is his compliments are forced. He walks up to women and asks if they like the smell. I don't know what one seeks to gain from overexaggerating this, but to each their own I guess.

Then you have the people who ask about compliments on someone's SOTD post. Also, the people who ask for the highest complimented fragrances with the ladies. I am going to let you gentleman in on a secret. I am 33, so I am not old or young, but the best way to get compliments from women isn't your fragrance. It's your personality. Be respectful, cordial, and polite. Most women, at least in my age group, don't enjoy the whole playboy persona. They want a well-mannered man who treats them with respect. This is just my personal experience. Your experience could vary. A fragrance is an accessory. It's not the main focus. If you dress like a teenager in destroyed denim, super baggy t-shirts, or anything else that comes off as youthful, then you probably won't get as many compliments, regardless of how good you smell. I personally think using a fragrance to try to get in someone bed is a disgrace to the art of perfumery, but again, to each their own. I am still single, so maybe I have it wrong as well.


5. Being Rude

Rudeness is a huge thing in the fragrance community. You can get your point across without being a jerk about it. I fully expect some people to be rude to me about this article, but I don't really care. If I can make one person think about their actions from this article, then I will take it gladly.

Just because that person is wearing Nautica Voyage, which is a cheap and safe fragrance, doesn't give you the right to trash what that person likes. You can respectfully say that it's not your style, but you are glad that he likes it. You don't have to tell everyone that you love their fragrance, but let's stay away from insulting someone's tastes because they aren't like your own. Again, let's be well-spoken gentleman and ladies. High school is over, for most of us at least.

Disagreements will happen. Our olfactory senses are highly subjective. Just like our sense of hearing, taste, and touch. Some people love rock, some do not. Some people love fish, others hate it. It's all subjective. We need to learn to accept and embrace the diversity within all of us instead of insulting it.


Conclusion

I will just note, that I am guilty of some of these things as well. We all need to work on improving our community. That includes me. Don't take this as me talking down to you. I am guilty of the same things. A community isn't just one person and their opinions. It's a group of people. That means we all need to work together to make this an awesome and inviting place for all fragrance lovers.


I hope you enjoyed this article. If not, feel free to roast me. I can take it.  I am so glad that we have such a diverse fragrance community that is full of kind and helpful people. You folks who have supported me and my endeavors have helped me through some tough times. You have brightened my world when it was dark. I care about all of you and I want us all to succeed. Thank you for letting me have a few minutes of your life to read my articles. I am working on making my content more entertaining. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

As always, feel free to hit that blue follow button and sign up for email updates! Even though this article was sort of negative, I will still say positive things to people today! I implore you to do the same! I hope everyone has a great day!


Want to learn how to support my work? Click 
here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here!

Follow me on Instagram!

4 comments:

  1. I’m a fairly new member of the frag community and so far I have had great experiences with everyone I have dealt with. However, I totally agree with your article John. It is well written and has very good suggestions that should be considered by everyone. Thanks for caring about the well being of the community.

    ReplyDelete