Sunday, July 28, 2019

Leather Done Right: Happyland Cuir Cafe Review

Photo Credit: Happyland Studio/E.J. Wells

Hey, ladies and gentleman! I hope everyone is having a pleasant Sunday today. I apologize that I haven't reviewed anything this week. I was a bit busy, but I will be reviewing a few things over the next couple of days. Today, I am reviewing another one from Happyland Studio. This one is called Cuir Cafe. It goes somewhat along the lines of Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, but it's not a clone. It is its own fragrance. It's just the closest thing I can think of to describe it as. I also know the perfumer, E.J. Wells does love Tuscan Leather. This seems to be a more masculine take on the leather note in Tuscan Leather, but not as sweet. Happyland Studio did send me this bottle for free. I was not paid to do this, nor did it influence my opinion on this fragrance. Let's get into it!

(I will skip the presentation on this one since I covered it in my last review. This one is the same, except my bottle has a black atomizer.)

Notes

Coffee, Leather, Apricot, Labdanum, Musk, and Jasmine


The Scent

This fragrance is fairly linear to my nose, so I won't do the opening and dry down phases.

In the opening, you get a blast of roasted coffee and rich suede-like leather. I also detect a bit of dirty musk in there. This stuff is quite potent in the opening, so I would suggest that you go easy on the trigger. I don't detect any sort of sweetness. The leather note is very prominent in it, which is no doubt accentuated by the labdanum.

When it dries down, you get a bit more of the bitter roasted coffee coming out. By bitter, I don't mean displeasing, coffee is naturally bitter smelling. during this phase, I get a slight hint of what might be dried apricot, but I can't be certain. It's just a slight tinge of sweetness. This fragrance is certainly about the coffee and leather over anything else.

Performance

I wore this to bed last night and woke up and it was still projecting off my chest. It seems to last around 10 hours or so on me. It projects for about 3-4 hours. Keep in mind that it's still warm here. This is a fragrance that will do much better in the cold.

When to Wear it

This is a colder weather fragrance, as I stated above. Some more of the notes might come out in the colder weather. As for right now, that is what I get from it. This is a more casual fragrance, it doesn't have an elegant touch to it. It does have a lot of quality though, so don't mistake the lack of elegance for a lack of quality. This is a super masculine fragrance. I assume that is what E.J. was going for. A more masculine version of Tuscan Leather that employed the use of coffee instead of the sweetness of raspberry. If that was indeed his goal, he did it well.


Overall Impression

This was my second favorite from what he sent me.  I quite enjoy this one. It's decidedly masculine and somewhat unique. A lot of companies try to compy Tuscan Leather and fail. E.J. took the leather note from it and made it even better. Tom Ford fans don't hate me. I just think he nailed this one. If you love Tuscan Leather or leather fragrances as a whole, contact E.J. and get a sample. I am pretty sure you will enjoy his one as I have. I can't wait until it cools down to give this one an actual good wearing.


Conclusion

Have a fantastic day and be kind to people. Until next time, be kind and be positive. I appreciate all of you and your support. I am at 18,950 views since starting in October. That is pretty amazing for a blog. I wouldn't have kept doing this without your support. Don't be shy about hitting that follow button to help me out.

*Note: This fragrance hasn't been released on his site yet, but you can contact him via Facebook or join the Happyland group to order it*
E.J. Wells' Facebook

Happyland Studio Facebook Group


Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here!

No comments:

Post a Comment