Friday, November 2, 2018

The Most Overhyped Thing in the FragComm

This image is owned by me. Credit goes to yanhongbin / 123RF Stock Photo

I hope everyone is having a fantastic start to the fall season! Today I have a somewhat controversial subject that I know many will disagree with me on it. That is fine, these are just my thoughts on it. I hope you enjoy this article.

I was thinking about the most overhyped thing in the FragComm...Trying to think of the fragrance that is talked about the most...then it hit me...It's not a fragrance at all. What is it then you might ask? It's longevity and projection. Also known as performance.

Now, before you get angry at me please hear me out. What is the one thing that you see the most on SOTD(Scent of the Day) posts on Facebook? It's not "What does this smell like to you?", even though some do ask that. It's usually not an opinion of the fragrance itself. It seems that there is always someone who asks "How is the performance?".

Now, performance isn't a bad thing, not in the slightest. Let me play "Devil's Advocate" for a bit on this one. So, why is it that we are more concerned with how long a fragrance lasts? I mean, if one only lasts for 2-3 hours, then that is obviously a problem. Why are people so enamored with it? If I want to wear Sauvage(just an example) to work that day, then come home and wear some CH Men Prive to go out with the boys that night...then Sauvage and its inability to be scrubbed off before 12 hours certainly poses an issue in achieving that.

On another note, why is projection so important? Do we have to announce to the world every day that we are wearing a fragrance and force everyone to smell us? I think in certain situations(ie. on a plane, a close quarters restaurant, in a movie theater, etc.) this could be considered as rude.

Why are fragrances like D&G The One and YSL's La Nuit de L'homme considered to be poor performing? Because they don't last 8 hours and project? I think part of the charm of these fragrances is due to them being seductive. To just give you a faint whiff to draw you in closer to experience it more. Yes, I am aware that the original formulations of La Nuit de L'homme were much stronger. It's like the difference between "Rock you like a Hurricane" by The Scorpions and "Killing Me Softly" by Frank Sinatra. They both have their places and situations and neither one is superior.

Another thing to take into account is going anosmic to the fragrances. Just because we cannot smell them does not mean others cannot. I go anosmic pretty quickly to Sauvage, but I have received compliments 10 hours into the life of it before. Same with D&G The One. Some people say it lasts 3 hours on them, well I have garnered a compliment 6 hours after applying before. Yes, I know skin chemistry plays a lot into this, but still, it's better to test with someone else's nose than your own.

One last thing I want to touch on. Just because someone doesn't say anything doesn't mean your fragrance didn't bother them. I know as for myself, I try not to say anything unless it is kind or constructive criticism. About 2 months ago I walked past a guy who probably did 8 sprays of Sauvage. I could smell him about 20 feet away. I didn't say anything to him, but it gave me a massive headache. That goes for any fragrance guys, if you spray 20 sprays of Versace Eau Fraiche then people are going to view you as the "guy who wears too much cologne". I don't care what fragrance it is. I think you should go no more than 5 sprays on anything. If it's a fragrance like Sauvage, one is enough. Be courteous to those around you.

Once again, I am not saying performance is a bad thing. I even mention it in my reviews because I know people want to know about it. I am just saying that I think we should look at the overall picture the fragrance is painting and not just how long it lasts or projects. I know I am probably in the minority here, but these are my thoughts.

If you are someone who values performance and that is how you enjoy fragrances then keep doing what you are doing. Love fragrances the way that you do. I am just trying to give an alternate view to possibly open someone's mind to a different way to enjoy fragrances. As I said, I was playing "Devil's Advocate" here.

Be sure to let me know your opinions in the comments!

I hope you enjoyed the article. If you like my content be sure to hit that blue follow button to show me your support. Have a fantastic and fabulously fragrant day!

No comments:

Post a Comment