Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Modern Masculinity Redefined: Happyland Studio Barbershop Review

Sorry for the poor quality picture. My camera stinks!

Greetings, everyone! Welcome back. I hope everyone is having a fantastic day today. Today I have another Happyland fragrance for you. This one is the first creation from E.J. Wells that I ever smelled. It was in solid form though.  I am so happy he decided to make it into spray form. Don't get me wrong. I love the solid fragrances as well, but I prefer sprays. If you love barbershop style fragrances, then you won't want to miss this one. Ej.J did send this to me for free, but it does not impact my opinions on this fragrance in any way. Let's get into it!


Note: Some reviewers have acted like Happyland Studio is a clone house. I am sorry, but this is simply not true. You folks know I love clone houses. Happyland is not a clone house. All of his fragrances are original creations. Some of his fragrances have a note or two that is similar to popular fragrances, but that does not make them clones or that similar. Notes in some fragrances are widely used. That does not mean they are clones. I am sorry to say this, but I don't want E.J's creations to be taken for another clone house, which he is not. Happyland Studio is an indie house.

Notes

Bitter Orange, Ambroxan, Lavender, Leather, Oakmoss, Cardamom, and Musk


The Scent

Opening


Barbershop opens up with a blast of super soapy and powdery lavender mixed with a bit of bitter orange. Although not overly citric, the bitter orange lends its hand in providing the masculine freshness that this fragrance is based on. One spray from this fragrance will fill a room with its aura that reminds you of shaving cream.

When the heart notes start coming out you start to detect a bit of pungent, but slightly smooth leather. It' quite nice and fitting for the composition and keeps it overtly masculine. You also start to detect some dry and earthy oakmoss as well. No doubt as an ode to classical barbershop fragrances that came before this one. It's not overly strong though. That helps to keep it from smelling dated.


Dry Down 

Barbershop dries down to an herbal and soapy fragrance with a touch of leather. You also get a slight bit of spicy cardamom, which I didn't detect before. It's powdery and soapy, as I said before. The bitter orange notes stays a bit longer than one would expect to keep it on the fresher side.

Oakmoss is listed as a note, but I don't think it's the only one playing into the herbalness of this fragrance. I think ambroxan might have a little bit of that nuance to it, since ambroxan can be taken from clary sage. Ambroxan is such a hard note to detect and can take so many different forms in fragrances.

There is also a good helping of sweet and clean musk in this. Which helps it retain that overall clean vibe. This is another form that Ambroxan can take as well, so perhaps it is accentuated both accords(both the oakmoss and musk) in this composition. As I said, I am unsure. The form of ambroxan in Barbershop is not entirely detectable to my nose, but that happens to a lot of people.


Performance

Barbershop is a beast mode fougere. Be easy on the trigger with this one. I would say two sprays at the most. I am getting around 2 hours of projection up to 10 feet and another 2 hours with it behind around 5 feet or so. This fragrance is very long-lasting. I am getting around 11-12 hours of longevity. The sillage trail that you leave behind with two sprays is enormous.

Warning: This is a fragrance that you will have to shower to get rid of.

When to Wear it

This fragrance is super versatile to me. I would and do wear it all year. You can dress this up for down. In a suit to the boardroom or a flannel and jeans to run some errands. This one will work for you. You can wear this in any season, but I would suggest only using one spray in the summer, since it is quite strong. Keep in mind that these atomizers are very high quality and shoot out a ton of juice with each spray.


Overall Impression

If you only want one fragrance that is super masculine and you are tired of all of the Sauvage and Bleu de Chanels, then this fragrance is for you. It's a superstar of a fragrance that redefines masculinity back to the days of old, without actually smelling old. I will go ahead and say it now...In the next generation of fragheads after us, people will be listing this one as a classic fragrance from a house that many didn't know about. E.J. Wells is going to cement his name in fragrance history with this one. Just wait and see.


Conclusion

Now, I know I am talking this up and almost hyping it. Don't just go buy it. As with every fragrance I review...Buy a sample first. They are sold on the Happyland site, which I will link below. I do urge you to pick up a sample pack of Happyland's offerings. Also, you can contact Ej.J. on Facebook and request some different samples than what is show on his site. I will also leave his Facebook below. They are all amazing fragrances.

I hope every has a blessed day and spreading positive vibes! Until next time, keep smelling amazing! Don't be afraid to hit that follow button if you want to support my work! You can also sign up for email notifications to be notified through your email as to when I post new content.

E.J. Wells' Facebook

Buy Barbershop here

Happyland Studio Facebook Group (E.J. sometimes offers special sales that he only offers to group members)


Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment