Sunday, October 21, 2018

Penhaligon's LP No. 9 Review

Image Sourced from Fragrantica.com

Penhaligon's...Ah, such a storied house with a premium pedigree. Not many houses can claim such deeds that Penhaligon's has accomplished. In the same league as other houses that have held royal warrants such as Floris and Creed.
This image was taken from Penhaligons.com and is not my own. It is used for reference only.

So, here we have one of their releases from 1999, with a modern take on things, but still maintaining the traditional Penhaligon's quality. To me, this smells like Christmas. It opens up with a strong cloves smell, so strong that it almost makes me sneeze, which then settles in fairly quickly and gets joined with some cinnamon, nutmeg, earthy patchouli, and warm amber on the dry-down. It gives off a slight licorice vibe, which as some of you might know, I hate licorice, but this isn't too overpowering to make me dislike it. The clove is strong and persistent throughout the entire life of the fragrance. I have started to call it the "Christmas Spicebomb" and yes, I know Spicebomb did release a Christmas flanker a while back. This is a fragrance that evokes memories of a cold Christmas day and being inside in the warmth with a nice cup of spiced eggnog and Christmas cookies being baked in the kitchen.

The longevity on this one is solid, I get about 9 hours and 2 of projection. Just don't spray it just before you leave the house, the clove can be overpowering for the first 20 minutes or so. One spray on my neck and one on my shirt are all that is needed. Do not go overboard with this one. It can make people sneeze.

Overall, I think it is a great release and it is somewhat unique, given that many fragrances aren't so clove heavy. If you can pick this up as a discounter then I think it is worth the purchase, but I would not suggest blind buying it since the clove can be too much for some.

Also, I used a stock image of the bottle because I bought a decant from Myfragrancesamples.com. He also included a sample of Robert Graham Valour, which I do like and will review soon. He is a fabulous human being and a gentleman who provides great customer service. Here is a link to his site:
https://www.myfragrancesamples.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment