Sunday, October 18, 2020

Woody Wanderlust: January Scent Project Burvuvu Review

 



Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I hope everyone is doing well today. I am doing pretty well. I am glad that fall-like weather is finally upon us. Fall and winter are my favorite fragrant seasons. So many rich perfumes to wear and explore!

Today I will be covering January Scent Project's Burvuvu. Fragrantica writer and perfumer John Biebel composed this fragrance with the intent of bringing a realistic forest experience in a market that desperately needs more types of this fragrance. I am not sure if that is what his intent was, but I assume it was from my experience with the scent. 

I have no affiliation with Mr. Biebel. I think I spoke to him once or twice on a Facebook post(maybe it was on Instagram?). I get absolutely nothing from you clicking the links down below. They are just there for your convenience.

This is one of my favorite fragrance genres and I am excited about this one. Let's get into it!


The Story

Again I find myself here, in the desolate wild places that many men do not dare to tread. I am not many men. This is where I find my peace. Solace from a world full of technology-driven ambition that is devoid of the natural world. It is here that my mind reconnects with its primal nature and unlocks itself. 

As I walk through over the golden and red-hued leaves underfoot, I notice the gentle fog that shrouds the treeline from the nearby lake. It creates a hauntingly beautiful sight with the sun barely peeking over the mountain. 

I keep pressing on, over the soft wet dirt and mosses of the forest floor. There must be more to discover in this place that has been untouched by man for many years. The nearby flowers and mushrooms softly waft into my nose to remind me of where I am, even though I had not forgotten. 

As the fog starts to clear with daybreak and the sun caressing my face with warmth, I feel at home. This place is wild and untamed. It doesn't share its mysteries with anyone who comes upon its path. You have to get to know it first. It looks like I will be spending a lot more time here. I certainly won't be protesting that notion. 


The Scent

Burvuvu opens up with peppery and smoky cedar that is quite strong and in your face. This fragrance contains 3 types of cedar and I would venture to say all three are natural. If they aren't, then John certainly fooled me. It is pretty much a euphoric experience for a cedar lover. Seriously, words cannot describe how beautiful this opening is.

After the pepperiness of the cedar tames itself, you can a very earthy mushroom note. It darkens up the composition and gives a damp forest floor feel. I can also detect patchouli quite well, which I assume is meant to work with the mushroom note to bolster its earthy texture. 

Castoreum and honey add a bit of wild animalistic flavor to the composition. They aren't very strong, but you can vaguely detect them. 

While reading reviews for this perfume initially, I saw others strongly detected a rose note in here. I can't say that I pick that up at all...either that or it's hidden underneath the woods and earthiness to me.

Basically, what I end up with is a smoky and peppery cedar fragrance that has a strong and damp earthy undertone with a slight animalistic touch. It's pretty much a walk through a forest before dawn breaks.


My Opinion

I am just going to come out and say it...This is a masterpiece. I don't use that word very often. I have said that about 5 or so fragrances before. This one deserves it. 

I had been searching for a foresty fragrance for so long. Many of them came off like cheap shower gels or green fougeres. This one actually smells like a real forest. I can't say that this one ended my search for more forest-themed fragrances, but it is by far the best one I have tried yet.

This fragrance is a cedar lover's dream. Beautifully balanced, but strong and unashamed of who it is. It's like nature...the cedar notes are the warm embrace of the wilds. Don't get too comfortable though, the cold darkness of the earth will swallow you whole if you don't respect it. If you didn't get that, since I tend to speak in analogies quite often...I am saying that this fragrance has a deep contrast within it that gives it nice depth and character. 

This fragrance runs $65 for 30ml or $145 for 100ml(link below). You won't find many fragrances with this sort of quality and craftsmanship for $1.45 per ml. I think it's a very good price. Actually, I think John is selling himself short and could charge $180 for 100ml. That is his choice though. It's just my opinion.

I said a lot of positive things about this fragrance, but I still implore you to sample it first. This is artisanal perfumery and it won't be for everyone. 


Conclusion

I hope you enjoyed my take on Burvuvu. This was a fun one to explore. Honestly, I am still trying to pick out all of the nuances in it and I have worn it quite a bit. Sometimes these fragrances take a long time to dissect, but I was excited and wanted to share it with the world. 

Remember to say something kind to someone today. You never know what is going on in their life. You could bring someone back from the edge. Keep smelling great and spreading love. Until next time, be safe out there.



Buy Burvuvu here

Want to see what is going on in my group and vote on my upcoming articles? We also discuss fragrances and fragrant topics in a drama-free environment. You won't see any troll Aventus and CDNIM posts in my group! Join my Facebook group!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Follow me on Instagram!


No comments:

Post a Comment