Wednesday, October 21, 2020

A Classic Woody Fougere: Cerruti 1881(1990)



 Good morning, once again! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day so far. I am doing pretty well today. I have been sampling some great fragrances that I will be reviewing in the next two weeks. I think you folks will enjoy them.

I have reviewed Cerruti 1881 before, but I wasn't happy with it. My nose has evolved so much in the past 2 years that I thought I didn't do this beautiful fragrance the proper justice. That review will stay up. I like to remember where I came from, so I never delete any of my articles.

Well, that's enough backstory. Let's get into it!


The Story

Here I am once again. The golf course. Why do my friends love this game so much? I guess because it doesn't require teamwork. You can only blame yourself for your scores.

Speaking of fails...That is probably why I don't like this game. I am terrible at it. I would have a higher score shooting BB's at flies. Sacrifices must be made for your friends though. You can't always do stuff that only you want to. That is greedy. 

It's my turn to tee off. Oh boy, here comes the embarrassment again. I try to keep my form with my swing while putting power behind it. Clink! Well, at least I hit the ball. That is a good start. 

I watch as the ball goes high in the air and moves left...Right into a wooded forest area. Yep, this is par for the course. Pun intended. This is going to be a long day. I should have stuffed a hammock in my bag to take a nap over here. It's going to take me a while to get out of this. I might get par...for the entire 18 holes in this forest. What a day...At least the air is fresh.


The Scent 

Cerruti 1881 opens with an herbal freshness with powdery lavender. It's not ashamed to be a green fragrance. The fir needles of pine and juniper meet clean carnation and woody vetiver. A soft, but peppery cedar lingers in the background. 

The story was motivated by the thoughts of both a forest and a golf course that this fragrance brings to my mind. Also, my total lack of skill in playing golf. There is a reason I sold my clubs years ago.

Essentially, this is an oakmoss and lavender forward fragrance with fir needles, carnation, and cedar to back it up. It's woody, upscale smelling, and not overbearing. It smells like it came from the 80s, but it's not one of those thick and cloying fougeres. This one is a bit lighter and has some freshness to it. It's suitable for any season. 

It does come off as a bit more synthetic than other offerings in this time period. I am not sure if it was originally this way, or if regulations forced it to become this way. I still get a solid 6-7 hours out of it. 


My Opinion

Despite it being more synthetic than others, I do enjoy this one. I wouldn't consider it a must-buy though for classic collectors and lovers. I don't consider anything a must-buy though. You can pick up a 100ml for just under $30(link below). It seems reasonably priced for what it is.

Overall, it has its place in my collection. It's a nice fragrance, but it's not outstanding. A good refined mix of the 70s and 80s woody forest fragrances and a lighter style that would proceed into the 90s. So, I guess this fragrance was a bit ahead of its time...and a bit behind it at the same time. Such an anomaly.  


Conclusion

I hope you enjoyed today's review. Have a great day and don't forget to say some kind words. You never know how much it could help someone. These are troubled times and everyone needs a boost of joy in their life. Much love to all of you who still support me. Keep smelling great and being great. 


Buy Cerruti 1881

Want to see what is going on in my group and vote on my upcoming articles? We also discuss fragrances and fragrant topics in a drama-free environment. You won't see any troll Aventus and CDNIM posts in my group! Join my Facebook group!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Follow me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment