Saturday, October 31, 2020

A Tribute to Sean Connery: Guerlain Habit Rouge EDP Review

Source


Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I hope everyone is doing well. I am in a somber mood today. As you probably already know, Sean Connery passed away. He was one of my favorite actors and a legendary James Bond, which if you have read my blog then you will know I am a huge fan of the series. 


Sir Sean Connery was known to wear Guerlain Jicky and Guerlain Habit Rouge. Some people that he also wore Creed Green Irish Tweed and Floris No 89, but those are only speculations. So, I decided to review Habit Rouge in a tribute to him, since I haven't reviewed it yet. 

A friend of mine did gift me a bottle of this because I didn't have it. He has no association with any fragrance houses. He's just a collector and it didn't work for him. 

This layout will be a bit different than my normal reviews. Let's get into it!


The Story 

I remember the first time I saw Sir Connery play James Bond in Dr. No. He was born to play that role. Although he has many other great titles to his name, I think James Bond is by far his most iconic. Ian Fleming changes part of Bond's story and character to make him fit Sean's look. He also made Bond Scottish because of him. 

He had the suave and gentlemanly character that perfectly embodied a character like Bond. Everything from his style, to his quips, to his charm. He literally made the franchise what it is today. 

I was going to try and name my favorite scene with him in it, but there are far too many to choose from and I am indecisive. If you watch the Bond movies with him in them, then you will certainly see what I mean. Just don't expect modern CGI with them and you will enjoy them. 

I will admit, the first Bond I watched was Pierce Brosnan, but I went back and watched Connery's ones as well and he is probably my favorite one. He was just an amazing actor overall. 

Rest in peace, Sir Sean Connery. May your body be laid to rest in Scotland. 



The Scent 

Habit Rouge opens with powdery rose which fights with a very tart lemon note. The lemon is honestly a bit offputting. Most people can't get past that part to enjoy the beautiful dry down. Patience pays off, my friends. 

As the tart lemon decides to calm down and stops shouting at us, a sweet and warm carnation shows itself. The signature Guerlain powdery and floral vanilla makes its presence felt, as it does in the majority of older Guerlains. A smooth leathery note forms a solid masculine base, which is rounded out by sandalwood and patchouli.

The dry down is very gentlemanly, powdery rose with a hint of sweet and warm florals, with the signature vanilla, which is grounded by leather and masculine woods. It's very calm and refined. 




My Opinion 

I am not going to beat around the bush. This is one of Jean-Paul Guerlain's masterpieces. I think this might have been the second masculine release from Guerlain. I think Vetiver was the first. Just as Vetiver has, this one has stood the test of time and is still cherished today. 

Some people call this a unisex release, which I agree with. Even though I do think it leans more masculine, it can still be worn by women comfortably. I still think it's very gentlemanly, at least on my skin. 

Going off of the gentlemanly statement, this fragrance isn't a big projector. It's made to be worn closer to the skin, but people will still smell it. I get a good 8-9 hours on my skin with it. 

Some people prefer the EDT, which isn't as deep and rich as the EDP. I actually prefer the EDP. 

As with most classics, this probably isn't suited for younger men or women. It's best for cooler weather, but it can be worn all year. 


Conclusion

A fitting scent for a fitting gentleman. You will be missed Sir Connery. Thank you for all of the memories and being the true Scotsman that you were. 

I hope you enjoyed my tribute. Remember to say a kind word to someone today. You never know who it might help. Be good and do good. Have a great Saturday. Be safe, everyone. 



Buy Habit Rouge EDP here


Want to see what is going on in my group and vote on my upcoming articles? We also discuss fragrances and fragrant topics in a drama-free environment. You won't see any troll Aventus and CDNIM posts in my group! Join my Facebook group!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Follow me on Instagram!

4 comments:

  1. Great job John.. R.I.P 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a super great tribute to Sean Connery! One of that left great actors. I admired him for his talent, style and charisma.

    ReplyDelete