Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Classically Modern: Cremo Blue Cedar and Cypress Review

Source

Good afternoon, everyone! I hope everyone is having a jolly and merry holiday season! I am glad you chose to stop by once again and I appreciate all of your support. It really does help me to realize my little blog is interesting to some people.

Today, I have a new one for you, Cremo Blue Cedar and Cypress. However, before I begin to speak about the fragrance I want to tell you a story about my experience with Cremo. This might be a bit lengthier than my normal introductions, but I feel that this is worth telling.

So, I have watched countless videos on this company that hyped the fragrances up, like most of us have. I also saw them in haul pictures on Facebook. I went to my local Target and Wal-Mart and couldn't find any of them, so I decided to contact Cremo about samples. They responded to me the same day. I just wanted to try a few fragrances from their line to give my honest opinion on them. I never asked them for full bottles.

The man who responded to me personally was Fred Greene, who is their Director of Customer Care. He offered to send me one fragrance of my choice and a beard oil, and he allowed me to pick the scents.

This was all a normal procedure for getting something from a company for review. I told him from the start that I was not looking to make money from this and that I simply wanted to review the fragrance. What followed after was something that no other companies have done with me.

We continued speaking through email every day. We would talk about everything from the weather to the places we have been to. We still speak to this day about random things. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that someone high up in the Cremo hierarchy took time to speak to me about more than just business. He was personal and engaging, but always professional about it. So, Mike and Kyle, if you are reading this, give that man a raise for Christmas :)

Now, I will state it once again in case you didn't read all of that, I did receive this fragrance for free, but there was no promise of a favorable review and I was not paid to do this.

Now's let's get into the fragrance!


Presentation

Source


Blue Cedar and Cypress comes in a somewhat simplistic box, but it works. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles to it, but it's not ordinary either. It has a vague description of the fragrance on the front, "A refreshing, woodsy scent reminiscent of an aromatic forest". That's a nice little touch for people who don't know much about fragrance notes because it gives them a decent idea of what that fragrance is aiming for.

On the sides of the box, it lists the notes of the fragrance. On the back, it lists the typical ingredients and a little bit about the Cremo company and how they craft their fragrances on there.

The bottle is clear glass and heavy. It has the Cremo sticker on the front with the fragrance name on it. The side of the bottle has "Cremo" embossed in big lettering. 

The cap is a simple silver plastic cap that keeps with the simple presentation that this company no doubt uses to keep costs down, which is a good thing. It's an acceptable presentation that allows them to focus on what matters, how it smells.

The atomizer sprays decently and gives you a nice mist to apply the fragrance. Again, it's nothing special, but it works quite well. It is also silver in color.


Notes

Blue Cedar, Cypress, and Lemon Leaf


The Scent 

Opening


Blue Cedar and Cypress opens up with a blast of smoky cedar and dark cypress with those semi-sweet and aromatic green needles we are all accustomed to from coniferous trees. I quite like the opening. It smells pretty natural to me and has some depth to it. The lemon leaf comes off as green and slightly herbal instead of citrusy.


Dry Down

When Blue Cedar and Cypress dries down it gets powdery. It almost makes me think there is lavender in this fragrance as well. It's reminiscent of an older barbershop fragrance, but without the dry coumarin and oakmoss. It's just smooth and powdery. I am not sure if the lemon leaf could be doing this or not. There is certainly something powdery and floral in the dry down though.

The smoke from the cedar calms down and blends with this powdery accord with the greenness of the dark cypress needles and a slight citric nuance from the lemon leaf. So, you end up getting a woody and powdery base that is inoffensive and slightly mature, but I think it can be worn by any age group. It just has a very masculine quality to it.


Performance

A lot of people have said that some Cremo fragrances don't last, but for this one, I disagree. I get at least 8 hours from this one with a solid hour and a half of projection. I haven't tried the other to be able to tell how well they perform, but I am pleasantly surprised that I can get a full workday out of this one.

When to Wear it

This one will be better in the cooler months. It can be dressed up due to the powdery dry down or worn casually. Most powdery fragrances are very versatile and this one is no different.

This one leans super masculine to me, so I don't really see a woman wearing this.


Overall Impression

Blue Cedar and Cypress isn't a groundbreaking fragrance. However, it doesn't set out to do that. Cremo is attempting to give you a nice smelling product outside of the typical "drugstore colognes" for a good price and I think they succeed in doing that. At least with this fragrance.

The question I have to ask myself is this, "Would you pay $24 for this if you had to purchase it yourself?". My answer would be yes. I do quite like this one and it's a quality fragrance that I would expect to pay 40-50 bucks for.

Sadly, Cremo doesn't have samples of their fragrances, but if you like masculine, woody, and barbershop fragrances, then I would say this is blind buy worthy. Even though I slightly cringe when I tell someone to blind buy something.

However, you should know that you aren't getting something unique here, just a high-quality fragrance for an everyday guy. This would be an amazing gift to buy your father for Christmas, in my opinion.


Conclusion

Cremo impressed me with this offering. It's a very good fragrance for the money.  Cremo also impressed me with their customer service and how personable they are. I am looking forward to getting my hands on some more of their products, including their shower gels, fragrances, and solid fragrances. I want to see if this dedication to quality and simple, yet effective principles apply across their whole brand. If so, then this would be my go-to company to buy gifts for guys around me.

I hope you folks enjoyed my review. As always, be kind, positive, and speak words of life to people. You never know who you might help!


Buy Blue Cedar and Cypress here


Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review John. I have asked for this one for Christmas, hope someone in the family listened lol. I have been nothing but impressed with Cremo. I have only tried Bourbon and Oak, Leather and Oud, and Spice and Black Vanilla, but all of them have been very very solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try Bourbon and Oak. They just don't carry them in my area...

      Delete