Thursday, November 18, 2021

Some Stunning Fall Fragrances


 
Hello! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day today. I am in a pretty chipper mood today and I felt motivated by the chilly morning air to write my first list in quite a while. Those of you who have followed me know that I don't like doing top 10s. It's just not my style. I don't know how many are on this list, but they are in no order. These are all beautiful fragrances. 

The crispy air nips at your ears. The smell of wet leaves is in the air. The pumpkin spice craze reignites. Bonfires, hayrides, and apple dunking contests. Fall is here once again. For some folks that brings about a sense of dread. For folks like me, it brings about a sense of joy. I absolutely love the cooler weather and everything that comes with it. It is time for another fall list. I have a bunch of stuff you might not have heard of before on this one. Enjoy. Let's get into it!

Note: All prices are in USD. 

None of the links in this article are sponsored. I get nothing out of you clicking on them.


Genre Parfums Apples & Aces




Price: $50(50ml) 
Link: Genre Parfums
Character: Sweet, boozy, and warm
Performance: Very strong
Key Notes: Apple, Cognac, Amber, Tobacco, and Wine
Gender: True Unisex
Situations: Casual to formal
Weather: Cool to cold


Genre Parfums is a house known for making affordable clones. However, some of their originals are simply breathtaking. This is probably the best one. I quite enjoyed RAMC and Expletive, but this one is on a different level. 

A booze-soaked apple with warm amber and sweet tobacco. This is a holiday party in a bottle. I am normally not a huge fan of sweet fragrances, but I like this type of sweetness. It's grown-up and boozy. Go easy on the sprays, folks. This is a very strong fragrance. 


J-Scent Sumo Wrestler 





Price: $80(50ml)
Link: Sumo Wrestler
Character: Warm, powdery, and woody
Performance: Strong, but the projection is soft
Key Notes: Anise, Sandalwood, Heliotrope, and Musk 
Gender: More Masculine
Situations: Any
Weather: Any, but it favors cool to cold. 


"Sumo Wrestler? John, I do not want to smell like a large sweaty man!"

Well, neither do I. Luckily that is not what Sumo Wrestler smells like. The Japanese house J-Scent captured the essence of bintsuke, which is the hair oil that sumo wrestlers use. I was scared at first too, but this is a stunningly beautiful barbershop done in a Japanese way. Creamy sandalwood, heliotrope, warm anise, and powdery musk combine to create a warm and clean scent that is suitable for year-round wear, but it really shines in the cooler months. 

The fragrance is unique as its namesake. This one floored me, from a house that almost no one knows about and they should. J-Scent has many unique scents. One of my favorites is Hanamizake, Which is a cherry blossom and sake fragrance themed after a Japanese tradition that entails sitting under a cherry blossom tree while drinking sake and enjoying nature. Outstanding!


4160 Tuesdays Shazam!





Price: $130(100ml) $90(50ml)
Link: Shazam! 
Character: Warm, woody, and smoky 
Performance: Strong
Key Notes: Juniper, Amber, Cedar, Cocoa, and Olibanum
Gender: Unisex
Situations: Casual
Weather: Cool to cold


4160 makes some great fragrances, but many of her creations are gourmands, which isn't really my thing most of the time. I still recognize her ability to be creative and create amazing fragrances though. This is one of them. 

Whoosh! Boom! Shazam! hits you right in the olfactory sense with sweet tangerine and some juniper right off, followed by a trail of peppery cedar and warm and smoky incense. AT the base there is a hint of cacao. It makes me think of drinking hot chocolate next to a fireplace in a cabin. You gotta love the fragrances that take you to a time and place. Sarah McCartney is a true storyteller with her perfumes.


Di Ser Kagiroi




Price: $250(33ml)
Link: Kagiroi
Character: Woody and spicy
Performance: Moderate. Projection is intimate
Key Notes: Hinoki(Japanese Cypress), Yuzu(Japanese Grapefruit), Shiso(Japanese Mint), and Sansho(Japanese Pepper)
Gender: Unisex
Situations: Any
Weather: Any

Di ser is an all-natural Japanese house. Their perfumes don't come cheap, but you will not find the Japanese attention to detail as strongly in any other brand. Yasuyuki Shinohara has a commitment to use some of the purest materials on the market, which are sourced directly from his garden or in Japan. Most of which comes from his native prefecture of Hokkaido. 

Kagiroi starts off with the most beautifully juicy yuzu note you will find. Combined with a vibrant shiso note, it starts out very fresh. The sansho joins shortly after to join the hinoki and vetiver in the dry down. What you end up with is a beautiful hinoki scent and the best on the market, in my opinion. I usually don't pay this much for fragrances, especially only 33ml of it...but this is truly worth it.


Meleg Perfumes Mushin





Price $170(50ml)
Link: Mushin
Character: Creamy, resinous, and woody
Performance: Strong
Key Notes: Osmanthus, Sandalwood, Coconut, and Oud
Gender: Unisex
Situations: Any 
Weather: Cool to cold


Perfumer Matthew Meleg lived in Kyoto, Japan for a while. He wanted to recreate the smell of the incense that wafted from the temples there. This is what he came up with. I am not sure how accurate it is, but it smells darn good. 

You get osmanthus right off the top. That peachy aroma is unmistakable. It combines with incense, oud, and sandalwood with a slight hint of coconut to create a beautifully creamy incense fragrance with a hearty backbone of woods. This fragrance uses some expensive materials and is a steal at the asking price. It's my favorite of his line by far, and he has some nice offerings.

Also, I promise this is the last Japanese-inspired fragrance on the list. I wanted to include Comme des Garcon's Incense: Kyoto, but I couldn't find it.


Zadig & Voltaire This is Him




Price: $41(50ml)
Link: This is Him!
Character: Woody, peppery, and resinous
Performance: Strong
Key Notes: Sandalwood, pepper, vanilla, and incense
Gender: Masculine
Situation: Any
Weather: Cool to cold

This is Him is probably one of the more well-known ones from this art8cle, but I think it's still underappreciated. At 41 bucks for 50ML, this is a fantastic value.

This is Him opens up with a bit of astringent grapefruit with dry pepper. The dry down is where the magic begins. Creamy sandalwood, slightly sweetened vanilla, and dark incense round out the composition to create a creamy and dark woody fragrance that smells very masculine. To think this came from a designer brand is almost unfathomable. This is niche quality, albeit a tad synthetic, but that doesn't bother me at all for the price.


Marc-Antoine Barrois Ganymede




Price: $210(100ml)
Link: Ganymede
Character: Mineral, suede, and ozone
Performance: Very strong
Key Notes: Mineral Accord, Violet, Suede, and Mandarin
Gender: Unisex, but it leans masculine to me
Situation: Any
Weather: Any

Ganymede is an amalgamation of notes that shouldn't work together, but they do. Ozonic violet to create a watery feel, soft suede, mineral accords, and mandarin. It creates something that is hard to explain. It is synthetic, but that is part of its charm and creativity. Nothing else on the market smells like it. It draws me in and keeps me coming back for more. Ganymede is that strange person that you don't know what to think of at first, but you soon find out that they are something you needed in your life. 


Jesus del Pozo Tobacco Wood Nights






Price: $63(100ml)
Link: TWN
Character: Sweet, woody, and spicy
Performance: Strong
Key Notes: Cardamom, Tobacco, and Leather
Gender: Unisex leaning masculine
Situations: Any
Weather: Cool to cold

Jesus del Pozo has an entire Arabian Nights collection and all of them I have tried are good. I also own Dark Saffron Nights. Their quality is far above their price. 

Tobacco woods night is an aromatic tobacco and leather fragrance with spicy cardamom. It smells like a fragrance Tom Ford would make, but no one knows about it because many don't like to explore new things. They make us reviewers spend money to find those for them. This is a better tobacco fragrance than Herod, even though it doesn't smell like Herod. 64 bucks is a steal for this.


Amouage Jubilation XXV




Price: Around $200.
Link: You can find it at many different places.
Character: Woody, resinous. and sweet
Performance: Nuclear
Key Notes: Blackberry, Honey, Oud, Opoponax, and Myrrh
Gender: Masculine
Situations: Semi-casual to formal
Weather: Cool to cold

Jubilation XXV is probably the most popular on this list. I just had to include it. I traded my old bottle and decided I wanted to keep it. So, I traded the bottle as promised and bought a brand new bottle the same day. 

Dark juicy blackberries with rich honey, dusty and smoky resins, and a woody backbone. It has much more than that, but I will save it for a full review. It has so many little nuances that make it amazing. The blending and attention to detail in this perfume are hard to beat.


Pasha de Cartier Parfum




Price: $70-100 
Link: Check eBay
Character: Woody, ambery, powdery, and warm
Performance: Strong
Key Notes: Liquor, benzoin, Sandalwood, and Balsam Fir
Gender: Masculine
Situations: Any
Weather: Cool to Cold


This one got a bit of hype too. I reviewed it last week as well, so I won't go too far in-depth. It's basically a boozier, warmer, more modern take on the original Pasha de Cartier. It's absolutely beautiful and I love it. Check out my review if you'd like.


Al-Rehab Choco Musk




Price: $12
Link: It can be found on eBay easily
Character: Gourmand, creamy, and powdery
Performance: Nuclear
Key Notes: Chocolate and vanilla
Gender: Unisex
Situations: Casual
Weather: Cool to cold

Al-Rehab's Choco Musk is the cheapest and best value on this list. If you want to know what it smells like...It's pretty much creamy and powdery hot chocolate. It smells just like a cup of hot chocolate. I am not a fan of gourmands that much, but I love hot chocolate, so this one just does it for me. Especially for that price. 


Lattafa Raghba



Price: $25
Link: Check eBay
Character: Ambery, woody, and smoky
Performance: Strong
Key Notes: Amber, Oud, and Incense
Gender: Unisex
Situation: Casual
Weather: Cold

For years I raved on 24 Gold. I love the Kalemat style of fragrances. I didn't think I needed this one because I had 24 Gold. Boy, was I wrong? Raghba is even better to me. That sweet creamy ambery goodness with smoky incense and oud. It smells so luxurious for its price. You really can't go wrong with this one, unless you spray more than 3 times.


Conclusion

I hope you enjoyed this one. I will probably do another one at some point, but it might not be until the holiday season. I am going to focus mainly on single reviews for now. 

Until next time, be safe and remember to say a kind word to someone. You never know who it will help. Be great and smell great. 


Get $10 off any https://mozzafiato.com/ purchase with my code: MUSINGS. They are a premier supplier of luxury Italian goods and fragrances. I do get a small cut of anything you purchase with my code. 

Want to see what is going on in my group and vote on my upcoming articles? We also discuss fragrances and fragrant topics in a drama-free environment. You won't see any troll Aventus and CDNIM posts in my group! Join my Facebook group!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Follow me on Instagram!





 









1 comment:

  1. I am heartily impressed by your blog and learn more from your article. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Here is the best solution. If you want to look please visit here Armani Inspired Perfumes for Women Here another informative information.

    ReplyDelete