Saturday, August 8, 2020

Go Green: Genre Parfums Expletive Review

 





Greetings, ladies and gentlemen! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day today. I am doing just fine. The sun is shining and I am alive, so that always makes for a good day, even if I do prefer rainy days over sunny ones.

I have a new Genre Parfums fragrances for you today. If you don't know who Genre Parfums is, they are a small house our of Louisiana in the US. Devin Breaux is the creative director of this house. They started off making inspirations of other fragrances, but he is working a lot more on creating his originals now. Expletive is an original creation. I can go ahead and tell you that it's quite unique.

Full disclosure: I was sent this for free from Genre. It does not impact my view on the fragrance. I have given negative reviews on stuff that I have received for free before. If any of you know Devin, then you know he is all about transparency. That is what he expects in this review. I would not be an honorable friend of Devin's if I told him everything was perfect and never gave him room to improve. Yes, I do consider him a friend, but we aren't super close or anything like that. Devin does work with perfumers to create his originals.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's get into it!


The Story

A meadow in a forgotten place, the sun shines brightly, and the grass grows unchecked by human hands. A meadow of fresh green grass growing tall once more. As you walk through the meadow with your arms at your side, feeling the blades of grass caress your fingertips, the sun warms your face and urges the freedom of a smile. A new life, a new start, freshness embodied. Nature is all of its cleanliness. The raw mystery of the earth caressing your senses and emboldening you to dig deeper into its splendor. The music of crickets chirping in a melody that gives the final ambiance. This is spring.


The Scent 

Expletive starts out with an explosion of very tart bergamot, that comes off similar to grapefruit to my nose. The sweetness and sparkle identify it as bergamot, grapefruit is a bit sourer when it's tart. A freshly cut grass accord merges with white musk to create a clean and soapy feeling to me. The camphorous qualities of hemp and rosemary join in creating a pungent, but also a lingering fresh feeling. I pick up an accord that smells like the aroma as if you took a dandelion stalk and split it in two. I am not sure what is causing that, but I get it quite vividly. A pinch of fresh basil leaves are delicately placed into the middle of this fragrance. I have a garden where I grow fresh basil, so this note might be more apparent to me than others. I can also pick up a slight hint of soft jasmine when the heart comes out. It's not indolic at all. There is a very faint woody accord as the base that I assume is cedar, but it's difficult to directly identify it. 


My Opinion

Expletive is a very green fragrance. Devin has been using #GoGreen for this fragrance and I totally see why. It's very, very green. It's citric, fresh, tart, a bit soapy, and slightly medicinal. It really embodies a spring day here in South Carolina. The aroma of plants and grasses with soft delicate florals lingering in the air. For this reason, I am going to say this is Genre's best fragrance that I have smelled to date. However, don't take this as hype. You certainly need to sample this one. It's also the most niche one I have smelled from the house.

The accords are crafted in a way that works with each other and they weave through different phases throughout the life of this fragrance. The notes used in this fragrances are very intentional. This is not two clones mashed together. This was built from the ground up with a vision in mind. 

This fragrance performs much better when the sun hits your skin. The warmness causes this fragrance to project heavily to those around you. However, this fragrance will not be cloying as all. It's too green and fresh for that. Overall, this fragrance projects for around 2-3 hours, depending on the weather conditions and can last for up to 8 hours total on skin. 

I usually don't go over the presentations anymore, but I have to say that Genre stepped their game up on the bottles for their originals. I love the gold plaque on the front with the Genre logo. The atomizers are much better and the caps are improved as well. This bottle can compete with most indie houses out there and I think it's a huge step up from their old bottles.


Conclusion

I hope you enjoyed my take on this fragrance. Sadly, you cannot purchase it yet, but it should be available around the middle of  August for purchase. I will leave a link to Genre's Facebook group. In that group, you can see when Devin opens up the ordering cycles and how to order from Genre. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Remember to keep saying positive things to people. It doesn't cost you anything and you can make someone's day so much better. Keep smelling great and being great. 


Genre's Facebook Group

Want to see what is going on in my group and vote on my upcoming articles? We also discuss fragrances and fragrant topics in a drama-free environment. You won't see any troll Aventus and CDNIM posts in my group! Join my Facebook group!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Follow me on Instagram!

1 comment:

  1. nice write! - especially in the 'The Story.' Been waitin to hear about this one. The bottle alone is so pleasing to the eye and provokes thoughts of a super palatable and freshly green fragrance. I have made up my mind I am gonna get me some. good job!

    ReplyDelete