Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Why I Wear Women's Fragrances

Guerlain Mitsouko EDP
Hello, ladies and gentlemen! I hope everyone is doing well today. I am sitting down with my cardamom tea, as usual. I am sitting here and embracing Guerlain Mitsouko's warm and loving embrace and I was thinking about women's fragrances and why men shy away from them. Well, I am going to give a few points about why I wear women's stuff. This could also be used for women who wear men's fragrances. Just reverse the genders. It will be from a man's perspective because these are my own personal thoughts. Hopefully, it will help you expand your fragrance scope! Let's get into it!


Social Normalization

We have always heard, women's stuff is for women and men's stuff is for men. It's been programmed into us in our society. Cultural normalization has made the impression that men have to be a certain way and women have to be a certain way. This logic is fairly inaccurate and I am going to tell you why...

Men and women have unique personalities. We can love the same things. I am a believer in God and I believe He didn't make a plant and say, "Violet can only be enjoyed by women". If I am wrong on that, then I invite you to show me any verse in the Bible that states that certain plants are only for one gender.


You are a Man

You are a man. That means whatever you wear is masculine by default because you are a man. It doesn't matter if someone thinks it smells feminine. Is your masculinity that shallow that you believe that one person's word will take it away? No, it won't. You are still a man at the end of the day. Even if you are rocking a Britney Spears fragrance. You are still a man.


Fear

Many men rely on their "boys" and their opinions on stuff. They are scared to rock anything even slightly feminine because they fear the judgment of their guy friends. Are they really your friends if they don't allow you to be yourself? I mean... If someone is holding you back, then why do you tolerate them? If they think that only their version of masculinity is manly, then you have shallow friends and perhaps you should seek more open-minded people to hang out with.

You can change someone's view on this type on men wearing women's fragrances by showing them that you can do it and make it work. A man paves his own way. He doesn't follow the crowd. He does what he wants and he is a free thinker.


Your Skin

On my skin, many women's fragrances come off as more masculine. Like the oakmoss in Mitsouko comes off as very woody on my skin, accented by dry spices and a little bit of white peach skin and woody vetiver.  It does have that powdery vanilla with a floral touch that Guerlain is known for, but it still comes off as masculine off my skin. You never know how a fragrance will react with your skin until you actually try it.


More Variety

Have you ever grown tired of seeing the same men's stuff all over the place? Well, trying out some women's stuff is a good way to change it up and find some new things you love. Mitsouko EDP, Shalimar EDP, and Jicky EDP are a good place to start. Many of the older women's fragrances can come off as more masculine than today's modern men's releases. After that, you can dip your toes into stuff like Tom Ford Black/Velvet Orchid. Then maybe try your hand at some sweeter stuff like Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire Intense, which is sweet, but a dark sweetness on my skin with vanilla and musk.


Sexuality

Many men who identify as "straight" tend to think it's an assault on their manhood if they wear women's fragrances.

First of all, it doesn't matter who you are, no one can change that. If people wish to be judgmental and think you are "less than" them for it, then ignore them. Just live your life and embrace all of the amazing experiences that it has to offer. You can't just change someone's point of view. Perhaps you should show them by example that they are missing out on new experiences.

Secondly, as someone who identifies as a "straight" male, I am not someone who would be called "feminine" by societal standards. I wear women's fragrances because I just love fragrances and they are my passion. I am comfortable in my own skin and I don't need to prove anything to anyone. Have you ever tried Shalimar EDP? It's one of the greatest fragrances ever created. If you haven't tried it, then I highly suggest it.

Thirdly, it's wrong to assume that gay men only wear feminine stuff. I know both "masculine" and "feminine" gay men. They are people too and their tastes vary just as much as everyone else's.

Be your own man. I feel like I am saying that too much in this article, but it's my driving point for it.


Conclusion

You never know what you like until you try it. Don't let your masculinity be defined by something so trivial. Be your own man and explore. Don't bend to society's idea of what you need to be. Show them who you are.

Do what makes you comfortable and don't mock others for not being like you. Playing it safe every time is boring.

This is something I have learned about the past few months. It doesn't matter what people think. You have to do what makes you happy. Lead the life you want to live, not the one they want you to live.

I will do a list of my top women's fragrances that I wear soon. There is one fragrance that I really want to pick up before I do it, which is Black Opium Intense. So, when I am able to get the funds for it, I will probably drop that list.

Have a great day everyone. A kind word is free, use them often. You never know how much it can help someone. It's up to all of us to make this a better world for everyone. Being a jerk is popular, but being a nice guy/gal is an honorable thing that not everyone can do. The easy way is boring. Take the roads less traveled and find that meadow of flowers and dance around in it like there is no tomorrow. Who cares? Life is too short to not do what is right and what makes you happy.


Want to see what is going on in my group and vote on my upcoming articles? We also discuss fragrances and fragrant topics in a drama-free environment. You won't see any troll Aventus and CDNIM posts in my group! Join my Facebook group!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Follow me on Instagram!

4 comments:

  1. Once again another positive and great posting. I have no problems wearing unisex frag that lean feminine, Velvet and Black Orchid, Greenwich Village. There are too many other men's frag that I would like to sample, but wouldn't be opposed to sampling women's frags. Keep the faith brother. I really enjoy reading about your faith in God. Continued Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, it's not like I wear all women's stuff. I am just not opposed to them or afraid of them because they say "women's" on them. If I like something, i wear it. God bless you too :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent article and good advice to follow your own path. Black Opium Intense is amazing! Need to pick up Black Orchid- been wanting it for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always want to get Black Orchid, but then I see the price and decide not to get it. Thanks for your support!

      Delete