Monday, May 25, 2020

Timelessly Unisex: Shalimar Eau de Parfum Review



Hello, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome back! I hope everyone is staying safe during these turbulent times. It finally stopped raining here, so I was able to do a bit of gardening and soaked up a little sun.

Shalimar, what a legendary fragrance this is. It came out in 1925 and still has a cult following and the respect of millions of people worldwide. An inspired take on a love story with a tragic twist that ended up sparking the creation of the Taj Mahal. You should read the whole story if you get the chance. It is quite intriguing to know the inspiration behind your fragrances.

I am looking forward to this one and I hope you are as well. Let's get into it!

Presentation

Shalimar comes in an urn-shaped bottle that is probably inspired by something historical, but I am unsure of what that might be. The cap is plastic and sort of cheap, with a ribbon attached to it with a Guerlain seal stamped on a plastic gold piece.

The juice is a dark amber color with Shalimar written in gold on the front. You have to look at the bottom of the bottle to see the concentration. This one is the EDP version.

The atomizer is gold and has the standard Guerlain stamp on the top and it works well.


Notes

Top

Lemon and Bergamot

Heart

Jasmine and Rose

Base

Iris, Incense, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, and Civet


The Scent

Shalimar opens up with some fresh bergamot and a slightly sour lemon. Right off the top you can pick up Guerlain's signature- that powdery and slightly floral vanilla.  The opening isn't what counts here. The dry down is where the magic begins.

As it dries down, some of those citruses stay in the background, but the leathery iris starts to take hold. The dry incense attaches to the leather and creates a magical aroma, accented by that powdery vanilla. This is the allure of older Guerlain fragrances. This is also what makes this fragrance lean unisex. A slight touch of something sweet and animalistic lingers, which I think is civet. I can also detect something dry and woody, which would certainly be sandalwood. The tonka bean is warm and gives more warmth to the incense note.

Overall, what you get is a warm, cozy, and inviting oriental fragrance with powdery and leathery vibes.

Performance

If you want a beast mode fragrance, then Shalimar is one. I get around 10 hours of longevity on my skin with a solid 4 of arm's length projection. Even after that, it will wrap you in a warm bubble until the last few hours. This is not one you want to spray more than 4 of. It's really strong. These older fragrances aren't like modern days ones. Shalimar will not forgive you for forcing her to do something she is not meant to do.

When to Wear it

I stopped caring about seasonal wearing for fragrances, but I will say this is better for the cooler months. As I said before, it is warm and inviting. It's a cuddle up by the fire cozy, which is perfect for that weather.

Many men discount this fragrance because it is marketed towards females, but I wear it myself. If you follow my blog, then you know I love a lot of "ultra-masculine" fragrances. So, if I can wear this, so can you. As long as you have the personality to respect her boundaries, Shalimar will treat you well.


Overall Impression

Well, this should be of no surprise to many of you, but I regard Shalimar as a masterpiece of perfumery. The way the notes dance with each other and wrap you up into a blanket of classy bliss. The way the leather iris lingers on the tip of your nose while the powdery vanilla invites you to stay.

This is the reason Guerlain is so respected, not because they create fragrances that everyone loves. It's because they define class in a new way and they have been for over a century now. Although some of the newer creations have lacked that, their older ones were trendsetters.

Shalimar is a timeless piece of art that just invites you to love her and she will love you in return.


Conclusion

I hope you enjoyed my take on Shalimar. Have a great day. Stay safe, everyone! Just because we are social distancing doesn't mean we have to stop saying kinds words to one another! Depression and mental health are a major issue during these times. It doesn't cost you anything to be kind.

Much love to all of you that have stuck by and continued to read my stuff throughout the years. I appreciate all of you and your support.


Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment