Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Feel the Adrenaline: Perfumology Clutch Review

Photo Credit: Nir Guy/Perfumology

Hey, folks! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day and staying safe!

It's a cloudy day here, which always makes me feel like taking a nap. This fragrance, Clutch, is perfect to give me a boost and wake me up. It's from Nir Guy's in-house brand, Perfumology. Perfumology is a store that specializes in selling indie fragrances, but they have a few niche brands as well. I don't think the store has reopened yet, but he is still shipping. I will link the store below if you are interested in checking out his selection.

Clutch is another fragrance that is based on Nir's olfactive memory.  He's very much into cars, so you know he had to share one of his favorite pastimes with the world. Clutch is meant to invoke that feeling of driving an automobile that you really enjoy.

Nir did send me a sample of this for free. He did not influence me in any way, shape, or form for a positive review. I was not paid for this either. If any of you know Nir, then you know he is all for honesty.

I won't be covering the presentation because it's a sample. I will also try a less structured approach to this review because I feel like it will tell its story a bit better.

Let's see if I can see his vision in it. Let's get into it!


The Scent

You buckle up, put on your favorite pair of shades, and slide the key into the ignition. This is how Clutch opens. The soft and sweet vanilla acts like comfort, like your favorite pair of sunglasses. The smoke wafts to your nose, invoking a sense of excitement as you turn the key and the engine roars.

As the heart comes out,  you get this accord that smells like oil or grease. It is not strong, but you can tell it's there. I am not totally sure what is causing that. It might be the olibanum. This only gives me the imagery of an old muscle car. You spent the day working on fixing her up to make her purr just right. A little oily residue is left on your hands as you prepare to experience the fruits of your labor.

As you take in one last whiff of the cool autumn air with spicy ginger hanging about, you start to drive. She is humming like along like a bee on a hot summer's day. The rubber your beastly machine touches the road, accentuating the smoke and showing her power. The vanilla still lingers, acting to soften up the notes and produce the euphoric feel of this particular drive.

As the ride comes to a close, even though you don't want it to, you embrace the familiar smell of oak from your garage. You had been working on some new furniture made of oak. Even as you pull in, that adrenaline-inducing vanilla, along with the residue from the tires smoking the road and the resides on your hands still lingers to keep a smile on your face after it ends.

To put this is into words that are more digestible, Clutch is a smoky, spicy, oily, softly sweet, and smoky fragrance that is best suited for the cooler weather. It has very good performance and lasts for around 11 hours on skin, about 4 of those being a solid projection. This one isn't one to overspray.

Clutch is simply an amazing fragrance. Now, just because I say this doesn't mean you should go blind buy it. they carry samples and I think this one is truly worth sampling if you are into cars and indie fragrances. This is a very unique fragrance that will not be for everyone, it borders the line the between artistic and wearable and that is why I love it

I didn't understand Clutch at first, but after a couple of wearings, she won my heart. This one will be one I add to my collection as soon as I am able to. It takes me back to my days of working on cars and the excitement of knowing you conquered something after a long day of work and playing in grease and oil.

I do think this leans masculine, but it has a softer side that makes it approachable to women as well. I know plenty of women who love cars as well, and they would totally rock this.

This fragrance only costs $95 for 50ml. You won't smell anything else like this anywhere. That is a bargain for the quality in this scent. The perfumer, Justin Frederico, knocked this one out of the park again. It's a shame that he hasn't released more fragrances.

I hope you enjoyed my take on Clutch. As always, be safe and remember to say positive words when you can. Mental health is a very big issue during these times of lockdown. You never know how much is struggling and a kind word is always free!


Buy Clutch here

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

4 comments:

  1. Great write up John, I get the leathery smell of the cars interior from it too. I think of the wordiness int as flying through the country roads on a brisk autumn day with the top down, the wind ripping through my hair and the sun warming my chilled skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wordiness in it not wordiness int. Ugh. ☝��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodiness, damn autocorrect!!!!

      Delete
    2. Haha, it happens. I have posted a few articles with typos.

      I guess we don't have enough oaks here to really capture that smell while driving.

      Delete