Thursday, February 27, 2020

Fragrance.One Office for Men Review



Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I hope everyone is doing wonderful today and is in good health. Today, I have a controversial fragrance to review, Office for Men. Most people have already reviewed this one, but I think my take is a bit different, so I decided to go ahead and do it.

I was sent this partial for my birthday from Michael Dinsmore. I appreciate it Michael. he decants a lot of stuff, so hit him up on Facebook if you need a solid decanter. Of course, my thoughts on this fragrance have no correlation to Michael or his business. He didn't make it. His shipping was fast and packaging was great.

Now, I will preface this by saying this is review about the fragrance alone. I am not considering any personal feelings about the creative director in this review. It's purely about the juice inside. If you are looking for Jeremy drama, then just exit now. This is not the review for that.

With that being said, I hope you enjoy my take on it. Let's get into it!


Presentation

I think the all-black bottle is pretty cool. It's clean and simple. However, the cap is cheap and laughable. The atomizer looks cheap, but it works pretty well. Overall, the presentation is okay. The cap can certainly be improved upon, but that's not a huge deal. It looks fine aesthetically.


Notes

(This is my interpretation of the notes and not the official ones)


Top


Ambroxan, Orris, and Bergamot

Mid

Amber, Iso E Super, Hedione, Jasmine, and Ambergris

Base

Musk, Patchouli, and Amberwood


The Scent

Office for men opens up with a strong and fresh synthetic bergamot note accented by ambroxan. The hedione soon joins along with the jasmine, giving way to some light florals. Iso E Super and the cedar-esque smell it gives off faintly hangs underneath the blend. Clean musk is also detectable.

The ambroxan really start to kick into overdrive about 5 minutes in. The bergamot note turns a bit sour, reminiscent of grapefruit. I can see the comparisons to Sauvage and Bleu de Chanel in this phase. The woody notes get quite peppery during this. I don't detect any ambergris in this.

After it fully dries down, about an hour into it, the ambery woods come out. I am not sure if that is an amber and woody note working together or if it's amberwood. Amberwood is basically a woodier version of ambroxan.

Patchouli is present in this composition, musty and woody, with a slight earthiness. This composition is very woody. There are around 3-4 different woods in here.


Performance

Office for Men is a stellar performer. I get around 10 hours with it and it projects for 3-4 hours. This fragrance can fill a room when you first spray it, so I would go light on the trigger, just like you would with Sauvage.

When to Wear it

This is a year-round casual scent. The inert woodiness and ambroxan make it diverse enough to fit any season. I think it's a bit too strong for super hot days though.

This is not a work scent at all. This is a casual scent. This is way too strong for the office. This is a jeans and t-shirt fragrance and it is not meant to be dressed up. This fragrance is strictly masculine to me. I couldn't see any women wearing this.

Overall Impression

Office for Men is a mediocre fragrance to me. Not just due to the price, even at the current $70 bucks you can get it at it's barely passable. It's in the same vein as Dior Sauvage and Sauvage is blended and composed much more carefully. This does not smell like an Alberto Morillas creation.

Overall, I will pick Sauvage over this. At 70 bucks, it's okay if you don't own Sauvage. Most of us own it though, so there is no need for Office. Considering Sauvage costs $77 for 60 ML and Office would be 70 for 100ml. That seems fair for a different take on it. Let me be clear though, this is not a clone of Sauvage. It's just in the same category.

I heard people talking about how fresh this fragrance is...I don't get that much freshness. I get a lot of woodiness, which does make it versatile, but it also confuses the nose. This fragrance is just loaded with synthetic boosters to make it perform. There was very little attention to quality in this.

There are just too many synthetics in here. Something being synthetic isn't always bad, I love a lot of synthetic fragrances. It's just very hard to dissect this fragrance due to that. The notes don't carry high-quality nuances and it's hard to detect which note is doing which. It just confuses my nose. However, most people know that I am not a huge fan of ambroxan bombs.

This is pretty much what the fragrance community asked for though. They want performance, compliments, and something loud. Jeremy did deliver that, so I can't fault him for giving people what they said they wanted. You have to sacrifice some quality if you want some fragrances to perform.

This is a perfect example of that and what is wrong with the mindset of the fragrance community sometimes. They obsess over performance and compliments and Jeremy gives them what they wanted and they complain even more about it. I am not one that is too hung up on performance and compliments, so I don't really care for this one, but I will admit that it does what it was intended to do...Minus the whole Office setting thing...We can chalk that up to different interpretations of what is suitable for an office though.

So, my overall verdict is...If you want something that gets attention and performs, then this is a good scent for you. If you are like me and like some of the more mild-mannered gentlemanly fragrances, then I would pass over this one. This is a fragrance that fits a certain demographic and it does that well, even though I still think Sauvage is a superior fragrance for that genre.

I will end up wearing the rest of this at some point. However, I will not buy a full bottle of it.

Conclusion

I hope you enjoyed my take on Office for Men. I don't like saying that I don't like fragrances, but it's part of the job. I have to be honest about it. I am fully expecting to be trolled for this, but I don't care. My truth is still the truth to me.

Remember to say something positive to someone today. You never know who it might help. Have a fantastic day and keep smelling fantastic!


Michael Dinsmore's Facebook (Hit him up to see what he can decant.)


My Youtube channel(If you want to get a head start for when I start posting videos)(Hopefully that will be soon)

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Want insider news as to what I am working on? What I am testing? Any giveaways I might hold? Want to decide what topics for me to cover on my blog? Then join the Musings of the Fragheads Facebook group here! I also post every article I write in here, so that might be an easier way for you to see every post I do!

Follow me on Instagram

3 comments:

  1. I bought it on the BOGO special, wore it once, sold it later that day. I was wholly unimpressed.
    Haven't been tempted, as of this point, to try Date any time soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't anything special, especially for the introductory price.

      Delete
  2. Fine review John. Always like your take on things

    ReplyDelete