Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Effortless Style: Naughton & Wilson Gravitas Pour Homme Review

Source

Hello, ladies and gentlemen! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day today. It's still pretty hot here in South Carolina, but I am managing. I am anxiously awaiting fall to come upon us.

I am very excited to bring you a reviewer fragrance today, Naughton & Wilson's entry into the fragrance world, Gravitas Pour Homme. This is Dan Naughton's first foray under his own brand. Dan Naughton also goes by Mr. Smelly 1977 on YouTube. He's an English reviewer who really has a taste for many classical gentleman's fragrances. I have watched quite a few of his videos and he has has a great sense of humor.

Full disclosure statement: I do know Dan, but I have only spoken to him maybe 2-3 times. My opinion on him or his channel will not impact my opinion on this fragrance. Also, this fragrance was not sent to me by him. My friend, Mattie Fuller, sent this to me after purchasing a full bottle through his Kickstarter campaign because he knows I love fougeres.

Let's see how Gravitas holds up. Let's get into it!


The Story

It's a mildly cool day in a smaller town in England. A car pulls up. It's a 1960's Jaguar in British Racing Green. A man gets out. He's in his early 40s and dressed with a navy sportcoat, chinos, and an unbuttoned white shirt. He dons his classic aviator sunglasses, as he exudes his timeless gentlemanly style as he enters the pub. He sits down at the counter and asks for a single malt whiskey with suave and confidence. He is one of the last of a dying breed of gentlemen in the world. An underappreciated group of people, but one that the world needs to see the contrast. This is the Gravitas man.


The Scent 

Gravitas starts its journey with spicy doses of coriander and cardamom. A smooth and suave lavender follows, akin to the one found in Creed's Bois du Portugal.  Fresh citruses jump onto the scene to brighten up everyone's day.

As it starts to settle in, dark woody patchouli comes out with a slight touch of mint. This is a very clean patchouli that isn't earthy at all. Oakmoss rounds out this super smooth composition with a touch of warm ambergris.


My Opinion

Gravitas feels like its familiar in many different ways, but also very unique. The only discernable note that is similar to something else is the lavender, which smells like the kind in Bois du Portugal to me. This is obviously inspired by fougeres of the past, taking some of the best elements from them.  This doesn't smell like a copy of anything.

The whole composition is suave and smooth, like the man in the story I mentioned earlier. It's the sort of effortless charm that just works in any situation. This fragrance is the same way. It's warm, cozy, and inviting, like your favorite wool sweater on a chilly day. It doesn't let you down, rain or shine.

Is it worth it? Yes. I do believe this is full bottle worth for me. However, this is for guys who appreciate a classicly formed fragrance with modern ingredients. This is a fragrance for men over 30 to me. However, I would see if anyone is decanting it first. This fragrance isn't that expensive, but I still think it's pricey enough to warrant sampling before bling buying it.

That leads me to my one criticism...There aren't any samples offered by the company. At least, I can't find any. I am not sure why reviewers launch brands without samples. If it wasn't for Mattie, I could have never tried this because I can't afford a full bottle and I certainly wouldn't blind buy a fragrance this expensive. I am sure he will offer samples at some point. At least, I hope he does. If any other reviewers are planning on launching their own lines, please make samples for us folks who can't afford to blind buy everything.

Is this the greatest fragrance ever? Nope, but it is a solid offering and it's priced very well for the quality that you get. It's much fairer than Office for Men, that is for sure.


Conclusion

I hope everyone enjoyed this review. Have an awesome day! Keep smelling great and being great. Remember to always walk in truth and to say a few kinds words to people. It doesn't cost you anything and it could mean the world to then. Stay blessed and stay safe.


Buy Gravitas here

Mr. Smelly 1977's YouTube

Want to see what is going on in my group and vote on my upcoming articles? We also discuss fragrances and fragrant topics in a drama-free environment. You won't see any troll Aventus and CDNIM posts in my group! Join my Facebook group!

Want to learn how to support my work? Click here

Follow me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment